Not Your Mama’s Stuffing: Recipe and Reflection on Tradition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

This is my first year away from my family this thanksgiving – with COVID scattering all my carefully laid plans to the wind – I suddenly found myself staying with my partner’s family in Illinois instead of my home of Massachusetts. In my family, holidays are big occasions. A chance for my mom – a Cuban-American hostess with the mostess– to make an incredible table spread, enchanting drinks and decorate the house with light. Food is important to bring people together and I always look forward to helping her in the kitchen, making magic happen throughout the winter. 

On this Thanksgiving however, it is time for me to make my mark on tradition and figure out my unique table spread, however daunting that might be. It is important to me to incorporate the traditions I grew up with, but also figure out how to do my own spin on them. In doing what I do best, I made the cranberry chutney sauce (using mom’s recipe of course) – for those of you who don’t know, I used to run a jam Instagram, a story for another time. But, I had been assigned stuffing and had no idea where to even start – like how do you even make bread taste good? Don’t worry, I have cracked the code, dear reader, by combining two different recipes and will share with you an amazing take on classic stuffing sure to impress even the most particular suegra (mother-in-law). 

Part of creating one’s own traditions is being able to customize and create something unique, this recipe is flexible, so feel free to sub in your favorite ingredients – like dried cranberries, sausages, leeks or other kinds of nuts. This also works with gluten-free mix, but examine package directions first.  

For a vegetarian version omit the meat and add ¼ cup more of apples, celery, onion and walnuts to compensate. 

Bacon, Apple and Walnut Stuffing 

Makes 12 oz. 

Ingredients

1 12 oz. Box of Stuffing (I love the Trader Joe’s one, but any is fine) 

1 Cup Chopped Walnuts

1 Large Granny Smith Apple

1 Large Onion

4 Celery Stalks

12 oz. Bacon

6 tbsp. Butter

3 1/2 Cups Turkey or Chicken Stock (low or no added salt is best!) 

Seasoning, If Needed

Method

1. Chop apples, onions and celery into sugar cube size pieces. Take this time to also pre-cut the bacon into small pieces for frying later. 
  2. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, once hot add in the cut bacon. Cook the bacon ‘til it’s just not quite crispy. Remove bacon and most of the bacon grease from the pan and reserve. 
  3. Add butter to the hot pan and melt down. Then add in onions to cook on their own ‘til just yellow and softened. Stir in celery and apples, then add in ½ of the seasoning package that came with your box of stuffing (add your favorite combo of herbs if you don’t have a package).   
  4. Once apples have started to soften slightly, add in your chopped walnuts and cook for 5 minutes. Once done, remove mixture from heat and set aside. 
  5. In a large mixing bowl pour out the bread from the box of stuffing, add the apple, walnut mixture and the cooked bacon to the mixture. Mixing everything together evenly. Then, pour in the turkey/chicken stock stirring well to incorporate and transfer to a greased, oven-safe dish with a tin foil covering. 
  6. In an oven preheated to 350 F, put in the oven safe dish and let bake for 30 minutes covered. Then, let the stuffing bake uncovered for 10 more minutes till the top is golden brown. 
  7. Serve it up! Pairs well with turkey or ham and any other sides you may have.
Marisa is a senior @ USFCA in the sustainability and global affairs sphere, thinking about emerging economies, outreach and innovation. A digital nomad & explorer with a curious mind– and an accidental empanada connoisseur!
MaryCate (she/her) is a graduate of the University of San Francisco with a BA in International Studies. MaryCate is now a Master's student at Sciences Po in Paris, France studying European Affairs and Global Health.