This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Okay so as a rom-com movie connoisseurI have seen way too many Hallmark movies and blockbuster films regarding romance. I wish I could say they have helped me in the dating field, but alas this is my 20th year alone on Valentine’s Day. However, I have gotten really good at knowing  bad plots to good ones within this genre. So below are my top 10 go to rom com movies in no particular order. Please enjoy. 

1. While You Were Sleeping: I watch this movie every time I get sad about not meeting someone I think might be the one. A beautiful story with a twist of comedy and early 90’s New York captures the plight of single women wanting to chase after a certain someone when reality has another plan. Plus Sandra Bullock is amazing and she plays the role phenomenally. 

2. The Proposal: This movie is the shit. It has Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock, and motherfucking Betty White being the best character ever. I love this movie for a good time of laughter and a good fake lover plot. Highly recommend it to anyone who loves any of the above actors. 

3. You’ve Got Mail: This movie is a classic in my family and is just a feel good movie. Two bookstore owners, a dial-up computer, and a golden retriever capture your heart in the lovely city of New York. A great watch if you want a nice soft plot with little drama and lots of good feelings.

4. Easy A: The movie I relate to the most because it holds all the references to other rom-coms and a play of a classic piece of literature. It talks about religious prejudice, sexuality, and classic 80s movies. Plus Emma Stone is super hot and funny, which makes it all the better. While the previous movie did not have a lot of drama, this one is classic high school conflict and over-the-top antics.

5. Legally Blonde: Kind of more of a female empowerment movie, but I am not gonna lie I like the romance plotline of the movie. Especially the continuation of the plot into the sequel, which is super cute! Nothing is better than the amazing growth of a character and a healthy relationship with a touch of comedy.

6. 10 Things I Hate About You: Heath Ledger. Just saying, there is nothing better than a fake lovers plot line and a tough female protagonist. I found this one a classic, especially the serenade scene, which has gone down in history as iconic. I wish someone would sing to me from the bleachers, but alas we are all stuck at home in a pandemic. Plus I’m very much single. 

7. Beauty and the Briefcase: I love watching this one after drinking a bottle of wine because it’s so cheesy, it pairs well with a good moscato. But in all reality, it’s a cute movie about a girl going undercover to get her dream job. Then the love interest comes out of no one and makes everything seem so much better. 

8. After The Ball: This is such a good take on Cinderella that takes a modern twist. It plays off the fashion industry to include business deals and pitching conflicts with a pinch of romance instead of the classic fairy tale. I love the costumes they make within the movie and the love interest is super hot especially when he speaks French. 

9. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days: A classic story of two entrepreneurs trying to get a promotion before they are pitted against each unknowingly. A double fake romance can only lead to one thing. The different scenarios and relationship troubles perfectly display the different conflicts and issues real people experience in the dating scene. 

10. When in Rome: Kristen Bell is America’s sweetheart and when she embarrasses the hell out of herself at her sister’s wedding, she begins to believe she will be alone forever. With the power of mysterious magic and a wish on a coin, she finds herself swamped with various suitors. How can she figure who is actually into her or who is magically entranced? Such a good feel good movie with great humor. 

Special Honorable Mention: 

Starstruck : I love this movie and anyone who has ever talked to me knows I’ve seen it way too many times. I watch it monthly, not because it’s an amazing movie, but because it’s so bad it’s wonderful. It’s like a One Direction fanfic come to life except it’s Disney – it is so PG it hurts. Highly recommend watching it while under the influence because it makes it that much better.

Becca is a graduating senior Communication Studies major with a focus in Public Relations from the University of San Francisco. She is currently located in Las Vegas, Nevada due to the pandemic and enjoys consuming too many true crime shows and obsessing over her dog. She aspires to be a public relations professional specializing in political campaigns as a speech writer or campaign manager in the future. For now, she is enjoying finishing school and figuring out what all she wants to do in life besides work.
Marisa is a senior @ USFCA in the sustainability and global affairs sphere, thinking about emerging economies, outreach and innovation. A digital nomad & explorer with a curious mind– and an accidental empanada connoisseur!