This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Moving back home to San Diego from San Francisco came with its pros and cons. One of the cons was not being able to have my weekly boba from Boba Guys or Urban Ritual. Even though the boba in San Diego is not as great as in San Francisco, the coffee shops here are all amazing which is a huge pro. Here are a few of my favorite coffee shops in San Diego!

Bird Rock Coffee Roasters

Bird Rock Coffee Roasters has a few locations in San Diego but I always go to the Torrey Pines location. It is my go-to place for a nice, refreshing iced coffee after finishing the Torrey Pines Beach Hike Trail that is just around the corner. I have tried many of their different iced lattes and I love how their coffee tastes. The last time I went there was a few months ago when they had their winter seasonal menu. I got the pumpkin chai and it was to die for! There is also a small space for outdoor seating with beautiful nature views. If you are looking to go somewhere near the beach, then this is the perfect place for you. Just grab a cup of coffee from Bird Rock and take a walk right outside near the beach to get some fresh air. You might see some fellow hikers on the way! 

Better Buzz Coffee

Similar to Bird Rock Coffee Roasters, Better Buzz Coffee has a few locations around San Diego, but I typically go to the Encinitas location because it is my favorite beach town. Better Buzz Coffee is where I always go when I am having a beach day with my friends. After a nice swimming and tanning session, grabbing an iced coffee at Better Buzz is the way to go. This place is very nicely decorated with cool light fixtures and “BUZZ” signs. Aside from drinks, they  also serve sandwiches and a few different toasts if you are looking to sit and eat. My favorite drink from them right now is their new Cinnamon Cream Cold Brew. It gives me all the energy I need to keep me going throughout the day.

Communal Coffee

To be honest, when I first discovered this coffee shop, I only went for the aesthetics. Every little corner and wall is picture perfect. It is a trendy coffee shop located in the North Park neighborhood. Not only do they serve delicious coffee, matcha, and tea drinks, but they also serve baked goods and even avocado toast. My personal favorite is the Honey Lavender Latte with almond milk. This is the perfect place to get those Instagram photos and to sit and get coffee with a friend. They also have a section where they sell stationary and accessories from small businesses. 

Living Room Coffeehouse

I found out about this place from my dad because he always used to go to this coffee house back in his college days at San Diego State University. He took me a few years ago and I immediately fell in love with the cozy, homey atmosphere. Their menu is huge and you will find anything you want. Not only do they serve coffee and other drinks, but they also have a full breakfast and lunch menu that you do not want to miss out on. This is the perfect place to have a study date with a few friends. You might even spot some SDSU students studying there too. Almost everyone there has their laptops open and earphones in which creates an extra motivating space to get work done.

James Coffee Co.

James Coffee Co. is the most recent coffee shop that has been added to my list thanks to my parents. This is their favorite place to get coffee in all of San Diego and I totally understand why! James Coffee Co. also has a few locations around San Diego. My favorite drink to order is the Honey Cinnamon Oat Milk Latte. Starting this year, they no longer offer one time use cups to reduce the amount of waste that is produced. So now they serve their drinks in a 100% recyclable and reusable jar that you could bring back in exchange for a clean one. Go to James Coffee Co. if you are looking to get some good heart warming coffee while on the go.

So there it is! I hope this list of coffee shops is helpful to you whether you are a local or a visitor. Although I will be sorely missing my weekly dose of good boba, at least I can get my fix with all the good coffee there is here. There are so many places to choose from, it is just a matter of where you want to drive and what vibe you are looking for.  

Kayla is a third year Communications Studies major and General Business minor and the Marketing and Publicity Director for the USFCA Chapter of Her Campus. She loves lifestyle content and hopes to contribute related content in her articles. Outside of school and work, you can find her watching sunsets at the beach, scrolling on Pinterest, or rewatching an old episode of FRIENDS.
Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!