How To: Slay this Festival Season!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Festival season is finally here. Coachella, one of the biggest music events of the season, brings in people from across the world to enjoy three days worth of music, 95 degree weather, and of course several outfit changes. Coachella has become one of the most anticipated events of the year not because of the headliners but because of all of the fashion inspo galore. You may be one of those lucky people who got their hands on sold out tickets to festivals such a Lollapalooza, FYF Fest, and Outside Lands but do you have that head turning outfit for the music event of the season? Or are you like me and just want some fashion inspiration to kill it in your own backyard? Well you’re in luck cause I took it upon myself to research some killer festival inspired outfits and pro-tips that will definitely make you stand out anywhere you go.

Flower crowns are cool but everyone is doing it, so try to spice up your head game with some hair tattoos.

Yes you saw Kylie Jenner rocking these in one of her 4 thousand instagram posts (most likely 100 more by the time this article is published) and luckily for us we don’t have to dig deep in our pockets to have some flashy hair tats. Scunci is selling these tattoos for $4.99 at your local stores like Target, Ulta, and Walgreens. So while everyone is wearing those cliche flower crowns, you’ll be flashing through the crowd with some hair tats.

Please don’t appropriate.

Someone’s culture is not a statement outfit. If you’re not sure if you’re appropriating or appreciating refer to Interrupt magazine article Appropriation vs. Appreciation. Really ask yourself questions such as “What culture does this style reference, and what is my relation to that culture?” or “Why are you wearing it?”. Your responses to these questions should make you rethink your outfit. You can look great without appropriating someone’s culture!

Let your chain hang low.

Jewelry is a must; in fact, the more the merrier! If you think you have enough necklaces on, guess again you probably need more. You might be taking the comfortable outfit route while at a festival but if you have enough jewelry that comfortable outfit will look bold and stylish.

Of course, fanny packs are a must.

What else are you going to use to lug your stuff around? You don’t want to be carrying around a purse or a backpack while you’re jumping up and down at the ZEDD set. You want something convenient and guess what? You have the handy dandy fanny pack that will keep everything important right by your side. No worries – fanny packs are completely appropriate and trendy at music festivals.

These tips in mind, remember that anything you decide to wear (except cultural appropriative outfits) should make you feel comfortable and confident! Music festivals are a place for you to have fun and hear amazing music live so don’t sweat the outfits too much.

Happy Festival Season!

" I'm as unique as my name"Sophomore Communication Studies major with a minor in Journalism/ African American studies. 
Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!