element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Have a Very San Francisco Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Growing up in So Cal, it never really felt like the holiday season. I have memories of 80 degree Christmas mornings and building pretend Christmas trees out of driftwood at the beach. My Thanksgivings were spent in Palm Springs, where it felt even less like fall/winter, because no one associates manicured golf courses with the holiday season. San Francisco, however, even though its still California, and its still on the coast, is completely different during this time of year, and that’s one of the many great things about the city. 

Union Square all lit up for Christmas.

In San Francisco, the holidays actually feel like the holidays! Union Square is all lip up, and you take pictures in front of the giant Macy’s tree, and get your Christmas shopping done all in one trip. Ice skating is also a lot of fun, and you don’t even have to go with someone of romantic interest like in Serendipity, just go with your friends or visiting family members!

The Christmas tree at Pier 39.

Another favorite place of mine to go during Christmas is Pier 39, which on a regualr day reminds me, as a person from So Cal, of California Adventureland, so during the holidays it does even more! It’s the perfect place to pick up cheesey gifts for your family members that you aren’t looking to spend a lot of money on (aka brothers). I also recommend going nearby to Ghiradelli Sqaure for a sundae or hot chocolate! It was be lit up as well, of course.

Christmas lights at Ghiradelli Square.

If you haven’t done so already, this would be a good time to take a trolley ride through the city! It looks like a long wait, but the line moves fast and it is well worth it! Follow these tips and you’re sure to have a great holiday season in the city! Happy holidays, Collegiettes!

A San Francisco cable car.

Natalie is a freshman at the University of San Francisco. She is an English major with an emphasis in Literature and is an active member of the Xi Lambda chapter of Delta Zeta sorority.