toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Have a Very 90s/Early 2000s Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Being the nostalgic person that I am, I associate literally everything with childhood, so what better way to celebrate one of the best holidays than by reviving some of your best memories? If you can’t recall any of yours, here’s my own guide on how to have a very 90s/early 2000s Halloween, right down to the candy! Enjoy.

Your Costume:

If you want a group costume…

Everyone will love you and your gal pals as the Spice Girls! 

If you want an unoriginal slutty costume…

If you’re really fricking lazy…

If you’re really lazy and need a costume, just go as “grungey 90s teenager.” A backwards cap would be so dope with this outfit. 

Instead of the schoolgirl look which is so 2014, grab your little brother’s stuffed snake and go as “I’m a Slave 4 U” Britney. The Britney Halloween options are endless, so don’t limit yourself to schoolgirl. One danger of doing the “…Baby One More Time” Britney incorrectly is that people may actually think you’re dressed as a solo Baby Spice. How sad. Don’t let this be you.

Your Candy:

Gobstoppers were a childhood favorite, just remember that they are a huge choking hazard and be safe.

Candy necklaces! Where does one even find these anymore? I miss them. :(

For some reason, candy imitating inanimate objects was a really big thing back in the 90s/early 2000s. I always loved the powder! Fun Dip was also a great one. Remember with the white candy stick thing you always just wanted to eat and then dump the powder into your mouth?

Your Movies:

The Halloween Tree (1993)

It may just be my exaggerated childhood memories talking, but I remember correctly at all this movie was scary as F**K. Like I’m pretty sure I had nightmares after I watched it and really wanted my mom but I just had to tough it out that night because I was at my cousin’s house. Story of my early 2000s life.

Hocus Pocus (1993).

A Halloween classic. To quote Travis Birkenstock, “Find holiday fun!!!”

Double Double Toil & Trouble (1993)

If you’re a diehard Mary-Kate and Ashley fan like I am, then this movie from their early years is a must-see!

Your Playlist:

“Monster Mash” by Bobby Pickett

If your elementary school had a Halloween party and “Monster Mash” wasn’t playing, was it even a party? I think not.

“Supersitition” by Stevie Wonder

“This is Halloween” from The Nightmare Before Christmas

Another Halloween favorite!

For more 90s Halloween songs, check out this video:

Natalie is a freshman at the University of San Francisco. She is an English major with an emphasis in Literature and is an active member of the Xi Lambda chapter of Delta Zeta sorority.