How Greek Life Helped Me Become a Better Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

What is the first word that comes to mind when I say “greek life?” Is it alcohol? Parties? People parading around in weird symbols that others don’t know about? What if I told you that after being in greek life for almost three years that the first word that comes to my mind is leadership? I bet right now you’re shocked or confused, and that’s okay! The way media portrays students in greek organizations isn’t favorable or really true at all. If I didn’t join a sorority, I wouldn’t have had the guts to go for all the leadership positions I’ve held while in college.

My first experience in leadership was as apparel chair for my organization my sophomore year. This may not seem like a huge deal, but it was the first time since high school I was able to have a position and lead a group of people. I had to give weekly reports at our meetings – both general and with my supervisor – which allowed me to work on my public speaking skills and my presenting style. I also furthered my abilities in talking to adults in the working world; I had to design items and coordinate large orders which took a lot of planning and communication. Along with this, the way in which I organized everything changed (for the better, thank goodness!). I am a thousand times more organized now than I was when I first entered college. This is all thanks to a small leadership role in my organization in greek life.

The next role I took on was that of a recruitment counselor – also known as a Pi Chi, Ro Gamma, Pi Ro Chi, Ro Chi, etc. The whole process of being a recruitment counselor changed my life (dramatic, but not really) and my outlook on the greek community. It made me appreciate my organization more, but it allowed me to take on a leadership role outside of my organization. I loved being able to connect with other members of the greek community, as well as play an active role in welcoming other women into it. I was essentially in charge of 23 women throughout a five day period. This really helped me with me with my people skills and taught me how to be incredibly empathetic as a leader. Being able to step up and take this leadership opportunity that helped aid in the fostering of my leadership style led me to my next, and current leadership role.

My current leadership role is on the executive board of the Panhellenic Council at my university – I know it sounds really fancy. The Panhellenic Council is a governing body for all social sororities on campus, and my specific title is Vice President of Recruitment Management – again, sounds fancy. Basically, I am in charge of putting on primary recruitment in the fall semester. I never thought I would be in a position where I am in charge of three sororities, over 200 potential new members, and everything in between. My position has only just started, and I have learned so much about myself and about other people. Communicating with others is the biggest part of this position and my communication skills are through the roof at this point. To be transparent, I didn’t believe enough in myself to do something like this. But, other members of the greek community believed in me, and chose me to lead them. That is what made me the leader I am today – the fact that others saw me as a leader.

I know I wouldn’t be the confident woman and leader I am today if it wasn’t for being a part of a greek organization. I owe my success to my sisters who chose to empower and encourage me every day – and for that I thank them.

Hi there! My name is Soleil Borda and I mainly write about all things beauty! Visit my YouTube channel for tutorials and all sorts of fun stuff :)
Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!