Fisherman’s Wharf in Monterey, CA
Fisherman’s Wharf in Monterey, CA
Original photo by Hanh Nguyen

Hidden Gems of Monterey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Known for its affable weather and striking sea cliffs, Monterey, California is any tourist’s dream. From places like the iconic Monterey Bay Aquarium, high-end shopping in downtown Carmel, and the exquisite restaurants in Pacific Grove, Monterey offers a plethora of sightseeing, history, and relaxation. 

Founded in 1770 (yes it’s older than the United States!) Monterey was the first capital of Alta California, under both Spanish and Mexican rule. Some landmarks include the historic Presidio, still an Army base today, the original site of the Carmel Mission, and California’s first theater. 

While Monterey has a rich history, it is still a small town. Being in Monterey for the last year has forced me to find new places to explore. Here is are five of my favorite socially distanced things to do:

1. Drive down the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH)

If you like to challenge yourself while driving, you’ve come to the right place. The PCH runs along 656 miles of California’s Pacific Coast, starting in Mendocino County and running south to San Juan Capistrano. Monterey is particularly notable for its Big Sur stretch of the highway, with a sheer drop to the ocean on one side and creamy yellow limestone cliffs on the other. Winding down the coast between redwood forests and the raging sea, the Pacific Coast Highway offers some of the most stunning scenery on the West Coast. Make sure to fill up your gas tank, go slow on the curves and bring your camera. 

2. Surf in Asilomar

Just five minutes from downtown Pacific Grove lies the stunning white sand beach of Asilomar. The bay curves around this stretch of beach, offering beautiful sunset views and incredible waves. The water is cold, so make sure to bring a wetsuit! To the left of the beach is one of my favorite restaurants, The Fishwife. They offer fresh seafood with a Caribbean flair. To the right of the beach are plenty of rocks and tidepools to explore. 

3. Explore Carmel-By-The-Sea

If you drive down Cabrillo Highway, take the Ocean Avenue exit, and drive all the way down, you will reach the quaint downtown of Carmel-By-The-Sea. Not to be confused with Carmel Valley, this small beachside city is known for three things: shopping, food, and cute houses. Very cute houses. They range from storybook cottages to Victorian buildings to modern architectural wonders. There’s even a street where the houses have names instead of numbers. It’s equally adorable and pretentious, only adding to the charm. If you love to shop, downtown Carmel has ALL the shops. From luxury brands to stores selling artwork of the Monterey Bay to local boutiques, Carmel has them all. Finally, the food. Downtown Carmel boasts an impressive array of coffee shops and bakeries, cafes, and, of course, fine dining. Take in the shops and the eats before ending the night by watching the sunset from Carmel Beach. Bring a few blankets, though. Carmel is chilly at night.  

4. Garland Ranch Regional Park

My favorite spot to hike, this park has dozens of trails ranging from easy, moderate, and advanced. I particularly like hiking to Snivelly’s Ridge which offers stunning views of the entire Monterey County. It takes me about four hours to hike up, appreciate the scenery/take a million photos/stop so I can breathe on the way up, and boy is it worth it. From the Visitor’s Center go straight on Lupine Loop. From there, pass through the wooden horse gate to the Buckeye Nature Trail. Take a right up the Fern Trail and a short break before you hit the Sky Trail. Take a left at the wooden bench and follow the trail all the way up until you reach Snivelly’s Ridge. You will be rewarded with panoramic views of the park as well as Carmel Valley. Dress in layers because the trail is cold in the mornings and windy at the top. Make sure to bring water, snacks, and sunscreen. Happy trails and don’t forget your mask!

5. Eat Your Way Down Alvarado Street

No trip would be complete without food, so I saved the best for last. Alvarado Street is in the heart of downtown Monterey. Just five minutes from City Hall and Fisherman’s Wharf, the historic downtown is also in proximity to many historical buildings such as the Cooper Molera Adobe and the Stevenson house. It also boasts some great food. Crepes of Brittany offers delicious authentic Brittany-style crepes. For something more modern, Toribashi has some amazing slow-cooked ramen dishes. Got a sweet tooth? The Paris Bakery is just down the street. They have a huge selection of pastries, tiny cakes, and freshly baked bread. If you are looking for some incredible clam chowder, take a five-minute walk to Crabby Jim’s on Fisherman’s Wharf and take in some historic buildings along the way. 

I am a senior at the University of San Francisco, majoring in Biology and minoring in Biochemistry. I am from Monterey, California where you can find me kayaking, surfing, or baking!
Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!