This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

USF has fraternities? Yes, we do. It’s easy to forget about them since there’s no frat row, but four times a year, fraternities Phi Delta Theta and Pi Kappa Phi put on socials at San Francisco clubs or bars that bring in huge crowds of students, Greek or not. If you’ve already been to one this is probably old news, but if you plan to attend the next one, there are a few things you should know before you embark on the USF frat party scene.

Before:

-Pregame HARD, especially if you’re under twenty-one and don’t have a fake ID you can use (note that contrary to popular belief, you CAN use your fake ID at frat parties, even if all the brothers know who you are). Sometimes, depending on the venue, the drinking area will be roped off and anyone without a 21+ wristband won’t be admitted in (note that if the social is held at Stock in Trade, this will never be the case because of the bar’s layout). Just remember that pregaming is especially important, and no frat ever turned anyone away for being “too drunk”. If they did, half of their own chapter would be absent from its own social.

-Dress appropriately. Not like “Sunday Best Appropriate” but appropriate as in shoes that aren’t going to make your feet bleed, outfits you won’t mind spilling drinks on and please don’t go overboard on dressing for the theme, this isn’t Ole Miss.

-HAVE YOUR SCHOOL ID ON YOU. This is probably the most important thing to remember, because without it, they won’t let you in.

During:

-Be prepared to be really claustrophobic. Frat parties are not for the fainthearted, and since ours are held at bars and not homes, the vibe is more dancey than mingley. So be ready to dance, get sweaty and be squished.

– Don’t do anything with any guy that you would be embarrassed about if the two of you were to have class together next semester. Because at a school this tiny, it could totally happen. So PLEASE for the love of god, keep it classy.

After:

-Socials end at 2 am but you should leave about 1:30, give or take 15 minutes depending on the location of the bar, because you MUST go to Nizzy’s or Burger King. Can’t decide, screw it, get both. If you don’t end up on 3rd and Geary by the end of the night, did you really even go out?

-FIND YO’ FRIENDS. Never leave a homie behind. We get it, sometimes the squad gets separated but make sure you at least know where Becky and Felicia are before getting on muni or ordering that lyft. *(If your friend went home with a rando’ make sure to text them to let them know that the squad is going home and to text you when they get home)

– “Go home, You’re drunk.”

Is the best version of herself while sipping coffee in Alamo Square Park, rereading Mindy Kaling's books.
Natalie is a freshman at the University of San Francisco. She is an English major with an emphasis in Literature and is an active member of the Xi Lambda chapter of Delta Zeta sorority.