Guadalupe Velazquez ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Year: Junior

Major: Sociology

Hometown: Los Angeles, CA

Why did you choose USF?

Having lived my entire life in LA, I really liked the idea of going away to a different city for college. I have to admit that after financial aid consideration, location was the second factor I considered when choosing USF. Of course I knew that USF was lauded for its focus on social justice and the environment that it fostered, but these were all factors that I came to truly appreciate with time. As a high school senior reviewing my college acceptance letters, all I knew for certain was that USF was far away enough from home that I could exercise some independence but close enough that it wouldn’t be too difficult to visit home when I wanted to.

As a kid were you ever frightened of a monster under the bed or in the cupboard?

I remember that on more than one occasion as a kid, I had to make sure that all the closet doors were closed before I could go to sleep. I can’t really recall a specific monster that I was afraid would be under my bed or inside my closet but I do know that in general, I had a huge fear of clowns. I never watched the movie ‘IT’ but I heard enough about it that for a brief period of time, I was weary of anything out of which something could crawl from him. Thankfully, my huge fear of clowns has since devolved into a mere dislike and I no longer feel the need to close all closet doors before going to bed.

Where is one place in San Francisco that you would recommend everyone go?

f there was one place in San Francisco that I would recommend everyone to go to, it would definitely be Yerba Buena Gardens. It’s a really great place to just unwind, enjoy the weather (when it’s nice), and grab some boba. It’s also just a small walkway bridge away from an ice skating rink and a bowling alley. I love that Yerba Buena Gardens has a lot to offer within a small distance.

Is there anything you would change about your experience in college?

My experience in college so far has definitely been a learning one, but one that I am incredibly grateful for nonetheless. It hasn’t been without its struggles and small hiccups here or there, but I have taken each and every one of them as an opportunity for growth and understanding. While I don’t think I would change anything about the obstacles that I’ve encountered while at college, I do think I’d like to change the approach that I took to overcome them. I believe I could have made a lot of things easier on myself if I reached out to my professors and others for help instead of attempting to stubbornly deal with everything on my own. I’m happy to say that this has become a lot easier for me to do, but it was definitely something that I struggled with before and would love to change about my experience in college.

I am the lucky descent of the Pisces Zodiac. Which by default makes me an escapist; which could explain why at a young age that I found my love for books. Starting with Junie B. Jones to House of Night and the beyond. I tend to find myself often debating society’s idiocy and fighting for bed space with my cat. (Currently we’re not on speaking terms.) Or bae watching, (Louis Tomlinson or Henry Cavilli any day. Just yum.) internet suffering, playing visual novels, or exploring the world.
Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!