Christmas Shopping for the Savvy College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

If you haven’t noticed from your festive Starbucks holiday cups, or the sudden chill in the air, the holiday season has arrived! With the holiday season comes cuddly sweaters, delicious cinnamon lattes, and of course, presents. Presents can be a stressful situation! First, you have to decide who you’re giving gifts to, then what those gifts will be, and they all have to fit within your budget! It may be tempting to abandon the holiday spirit, but never fear – we’re here to make sure you can defend your title as the champion of secret santa, all without breaking the bank! 

1. Decide who you’re giving gifts to.

Don’t stretch yourself and try to buy gifts for everyone! For example, your barista would probably appreciate a nice tip over a scented holiday candle from Bath and Body Works (however delicious Cinnamon Snowberry Snowflake might smell). Also, what’s appropriate for a professor or a boss won’t necessarily work for a best friend or parent, so buying in bulk is hard if you’re trying to stay on budget. Gift a few thoughtful presents to those closest to you – or, keep it simple with some candy and a nice note. 

2. Talk with your friends.

If you’re part of a large friend group, or your office has more than a few employees, try doing something unique like Secret Santa or White Elephant to keep it budget-friendly. This way, you’re only buying a present for one person and no one is left out. 

3. Make use of that student ID. 

Your student ID can get you discounts at some of your favorite places including Chipotle, TopShop, Apple, Amazon and more! Saving 10% here or there can really add up. Plus, if you sign up with your University email, you can get a free subscription to Amazon Prime which means free 2-day shipping – perfect for last minute shopping.

4. Live the DIY Life. 

A good way to save money on gifts is to make them yourself. That being said, not all DIY projects will save you money if you have to go out and buy a bunch of supplies. Think about what you already have and choose a project that fits those supplies. Some of the cheapest and cutest DIY gifts include painted or decorated coffee mugs (they sell cheap mugs at target, Daiso and even the 99cent store), decorated picture frames (include a photo of you and the gift reciever), or cake in a jar. 

5. Happy Holidays.

If you’re not sure, just saying “Happy Holidays” can be a simple, thoughful gesture to let someone know you’re thinking about them – best of all, it’s completely free! 

Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!