Campus Celeb: Dean Zulueta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Name: Dean Zulueta

Year: Sophomore

Major (and minor): Business Administration; Frantically Deciding on a Minor

Hometown: Fernley, NV

Hey Dean, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule for this interview! First question, what clubs/activities are you involved in on or off campus, and do you hold any positions?

I am the DJ and Production Director for KUSF.or, the Talent Director for Campus Activities Board, and the Secretary of Pi Kappa Phi.

Off campus I am a writer for DJTechTools and Digital DJ Pool as well as a few audio production journals. I also produce my own chillwave music under Dean William and I collaborate with local SF artists.

If someone were to look for you on campus where would they find you?

Most of the time I am hanging out on the third floor of Kalmanovitz. That is where the KUSF offices are so I am usually in there listening to music, making promos, or working on the KUSF.org app.

What do you like to do on weekends/off campus?

I am always going to shows at Rickshaw Stop, The Warfield, and other venues around the city. There is always an awesome show being put on and tickets usually don’t cost more than $20 so there is no reason not to go! Besides that I am usually floating around coffee shops or being a bum at Ocean Beach around the Sunset district.

Do you have a favorite spot in San Francisco? And if so, why is it your favorite?

Ocean Beach, hands down. It may not be the cleanest beach and it can be crowded at times but it is so calming to sit on the sandy hills with some friends to watch the sunset. Then, after the sunsets start a bonfire and forget about the world. The beach is the one place where I can escape.

If you had to choose a theme song for your life, what would it be?

Oh jeez. You are asking the hard questions! I would have to say “Holiday” by Green Day. I always try not to take myself and others too seriously. Life shouldn’t be spent stressing over petty bullshit and authority isn’t always right so question it. (If it wasn’t obvious I am secretly a punk at heart.)

Mel’s or Nizzarios?

Nizzy for sure. A slice of California is bomb and cheap.

Do you have a spirit animal?

In a past life I am convinced I was a koala who spent all his days sitting up in an eucalyptus tree on the beach. My life goal is to retire on the beaches of Australia with those adorable, judgemental marsupials.

Which Friends character do you most identify with and why?

I phoned in a friend for this one and BuzzFeed helped me figure it out. My character is eerily spot on… 

You got: Charlie

You’re brilliant, classy, and you’re in a cool field of work, but your taste in lovers is all over the place.

One last thing, what is your biggest academic/life goal for the next year?

I am going to USF on an academic scholarship so I am hoping to keep that GPA at a least a 3.5.As for life goals I just want to grow as a person and hopefully come out on the other side with newfound wisdom and a couple of battle scars. If I can get more than 5 hours of sleep per night that would be cool too.

Natalie is a freshman at the University of San Francisco. She is an English major with an emphasis in Literature and is an active member of the Xi Lambda chapter of Delta Zeta sorority.