7 Fun Things to do On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, when couples bond over a candlelit dinner or gift the traditional box of chocolates and flowers, while singles reach over for the bucket of ice cream and the TV remote, finding the occasion quite depressing. For couples, Valentine’s Day is one of the greatest days as they try to figure out cute ways to tell their partners how much they love them or how much they appreciate them. For singles, it is just another reminder of their lone relationship status. It is a day they choose to ignore and just hope to get through.

Despite what your relationship status might be, Valentine’s Day should be a day of celebration not a moping fest. Many times we forget that Valentine’s day is more than just about lovers, it is also a day to show your appreciation for family and friends. It is a day of love in all its forms. As an aid to get you into the V-day spirit, here are some fun ideas for what you can do with either your friends or your boyfriend/girlfriend.

Stay in and Get Your Iron Chef On
As expected during this holiday, restaurants are bound to be crowded and busy. Avoid all the chaos by staying in and cooking dinner as a couple or if single, grab a group of friends and make it a dinner party. For dessert, bake some Valentine’s Day inspired treats. Add to the fun by having everyone dress up in evening attire. It is bound to be a lovely night with your loved ones.

V-day Themed Movie Night
Not only is this a very inexpensive activity, but it’s also a great way to spend the night with friends or lovers. Together, make a list of your favorite romantic dramas/comedies and then pick the top two or three choices and make a mini-movie marathon out of it. Grab some popcorn and share some laughs (or tears) with friends. If taken, then this presents the perfect opportunity to snuggle up with your babe.

Picnic or Walk in the Park
If you are more of the outdoorsy type then a picnic is the way to go. Gather some friends, pack a lunch and head out to Golden Gate Park (or any place of your choice). Go for a little walk, enjoy some sun and each other’s company. If you are seeking more of a thrill then taking a hike up Twin Peaks is an excellent option. Not only are the city views gorgeous from there but there are awesome photo ops as well. So make sure to bring a camera!

Go on a Cruise
If you are willing to spend a bit more cash, there are plenty of brunch or dinner cruises. Take a 2-hour sail, enjoy a meal and each other’s company while taking in San Francisco’s breathtaking sights, listening to live music, and sharing romance under the sun. It can’t get any better than that!

Take a Class
A couple that learns together, stays together! If you are looking to find a new hobby , a good place to start would be by taking a class. It could be a cooking class, a dance class or anything that you two seem to have an interest in. This might be exactly what you need to spice up your relationship.

Game/Karaoke Night
If you are planning a group date night or a reunion with friends, heading out to a bowling alley or mini-golf center is a fun way to ensure everyone has a good time. Karaoke is another option that is bound to bring many laughs and giggles. To make things interesting, make it a “couples vs. couples” game night. If single, invite all of your single gal pals and guy friends and turn it into a battle of the sexes showdown.

Volunteer
Many times we are so caught up with pleasing our loved ones that we forget that there are other ways to spread the love on Valentine’s Day. Volunteering may not be the first thing that comes to mind, but it is one of the best ways to give back to the community. Show some support to those who need it and help improve our community. There is no better feeling than the feeling of helping others.

However you choose to spend this Valentine’s Day, make it a memorable one by gathering a group of friends or loved ones and planning a fun activity together. Don’t be another gal without plans this year; life is too short to spend it alone. Appreciate those around you and celebrate the love and friendship you share with them.

Coming across Her Campus as a senior in high school and then leading her very own branch, Emily proudly calls herself the co-president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus University of San Francisco. While Emily has a guilty addiction to shopping, celebrities, and all things "girly" she hopes that she can integrate this into a relatable magazine to the women of her campus. Emily has a slight infatuation for John Krasinski and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When she's not day dreaming about her future husbands, Emily is participating in many extra curricular activities such as her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Emily enjoys good company, good FOOD, and a good ole' television. One of the most recent television series Emily has become a fan of is ABC's Pan Am. If only Pan Am continued to exist, Emily would have seriously considered becoming a stewardess. The success of the branch has yet to blossom. Emily hopes that she can bring Her Campus University of San Francisco to its full potential. In the future, Emily plans studying abroad all over the European continent and pursue her passion of social justice through fashion.