Life > Academics

5 ways to become that (academic) girl this semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

So, you want to become that girl, or maybe you already are. As winter break comes to a close and the spring semester approaches, how will that girl become that academic girl? From time management to organization to balancing the world on her shoulders, she may need a little bit of guidance. Being that academic girl is rewarding, and you should know how to become her.

Use a planner (the holy book)

Yes, your planner is your holy book. Most of us have planners, but if you don’t start the semester using it effectively, it’ll become a doomed item that will collect dust in your bag. To start the semester right with your planner, write all of your assignments and due dates during syllabus week. Sure, classes are subject to change, but starting this ritual makes it so that you don’t have to constantly consult all of your course syllabi online and can instead go directly to your holy book sorry, planner.

Physical planners may be your jam, or maybe a virtual one that you can edit on your tablet is preferable. The choice is yours, but I’ve included some of my favorite ones below:

Moleskine Classic Planner

Leuchtturm1917 Weekly Planner & Notebook

Digital Planner Templates

Use a calendar

This may sound obvious or redundant to some, but yes, an additional calendar to your planner is so important. A calendar is effective for helping you visualize your time distribution and availability. Between classes, work, clubs and other commitments, your time is valuable and visualizing it with a calendar is so helpful. Google Calendar is a great online calendar tool, but if a large physical calendar that can lie on your desk is more your speed, run to buy one now.

Find your happy activity

Having time off is important. Having time to do and find activities that make you happy should be a valued priority, ensuring you to become that girl, inside and out. Whether it is hanging out with friends, working out, participating in clubs, reading a book, cooking, or whatever other activity fancies you, make time for it. Even that girl deserves time for her wants and to do what she desires.

Build relationships with your professors

I’m sure you’ve heard it a million times, but let this be your most recent reminder to get to know your professors! Being that girl is no easy feat, but when you can reach out to professors for help, extensions, recommendations or whatever the need of the hour is, without having to introduce yourself in an email, you know that you really are that girl. During the first few weeks of classes, go to the office hours of your professors to introduce yourself and get to know them. After all, they’re human too, and many of them have countless cool experiences to share with you!

Get your friends on board

That girl may seem like an aspirational title, but she has friends and when they’re also invested, everything comes easier. With your friends on board and similar goals in mind, you can be those academic girls together, and you will be excellent at it.

Becoming that girl won’t happen overnight, but you will become her. Stay strong besties, and join us in this year’s glow-up!

MaryCate (she/her) is a graduate of the University of San Francisco with a BA in International Studies. MaryCate is now a Master's student at Sciences Po in Paris, France studying European Affairs and Global Health.