This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

With Thanksgiving around the corner, I have started to reflect on the things that I am grateful for, focusing on life at college. Even though this year has been a rather challenging one for many of us, there are still many things to be grateful for even if they are small! Here are some  things that college students may not even realize that they are thankful for.

That unexpected email your professor sends saying class is canceled

Class is great and you should go to class regularly, but do you ever have those days when you are too tired or exhausted to go? I know most college students can relate, especially when it comes to those early morning classes. I can certainly relate, and it reminds me of my freshman year of college when I had 8 AM classes. Unexpectedly getting that email and just getting an extra hour of sleep was the best feeling. For some, it can be relieving when all you want to do is sit at home and catch up on some much-needed rest or use that time to work on other assignments.

College student discounts

As college students, we are on a budget here and do not really have the means to lavishly spend whenever we want to. There are so many clothing stores, restaurants and tech stores that offer discounts, so definitely check out what kind of discounts your favorite places to shop have. You would be surprised! You do not want to look back on your college years regretting not taking advantage of a potential discount. My personal favorite deal is Spotify Student Premium that comes with a free Hulu account.

Caffeine

Let’s be real, most of us are walking around on campus sleep deprived whether we want to admit it or not. Some of us did not get enough sleep whether we were studying all night for a midterm, binge watching New Girl until 4 AM, staying out too late with friends or simply could not fall asleep, even if we wanted to. That is when caffeine comes in to save us from our drowsiness the next day by providing some temporary energy that will hold us through. Just hand me a cold brew and I will be ready to head out the door!

Homemade Food

When living away from home, you could either eat at the school cafeteria or out at a restaurant. Sometimes school cafeteria food does not cut it and people gravitate towards finding cool new places to eat around the area. I remember getting homesick my freshman year when I lived in a dorm, missing making my own food and eating my parents’ food. A nice warm home cooked meal in my dining room was all I wanted! There is nothing better than coming home from college and eating mom’s homemade korean food.

Chegg Books

That time of the semester when your professors tell you to purchase books for class can be difficult because the books can be pricey. It can take a while to find the best place to buy your textbook that will not break your bank account. Consistently, Chegg Books has had one of the best affordable prices compared to other websites and the school bookstore. I usually rent mine since it is cheaper than actually purchasing. Once you are done using the book, all you have to do is ship it back. Thank you Chegg for helping out broke college students like me!

While it has been a unique year, there are some things to be thankful for, and to consider using next semester! Happy day of gratitude!

Kayla is a third year Communications Studies major and General Business minor and the Marketing and Publicity Director for the USFCA Chapter of Her Campus. She loves lifestyle content and hopes to contribute related content in her articles. Outside of school and work, you can find her watching sunsets at the beach, scrolling on Pinterest, or rewatching an old episode of FRIENDS.
MaryCate (she/her) is a graduate of the University of San Francisco with a BA in International Studies. MaryCate is now a Master's student at Sciences Po in Paris, France studying European Affairs and Global Health.