5 Reasons to Binge Watch Stranger Things Immediately

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Now that summer’s winding down and school’s back in session, watching Netflix probably isn’t the highest priority. But if you haven’t heard of Netflix’s summer smash Stranger Things, put down that textbook!  Inspired by science fiction of the eighties, the show is a thrilling ride of mystery, humor, and the supernatural. Here are some reasons to schedule some time for this mandatory Netflix session:

1.  It’s audience and critic-approved. Netflix reported that 8.2 million people tuned into Stranger Things within the first two weeks of its premiere, making it one of the most popular Netflix originals of all time. 

2. It’s set in the 1980s. The show is an omage to 80s classics, including references to Aliens, Dungeon and Dragons, and Stephen King. But we can’t forget the fashion – the show stays true to the casual looks of the 80s, with plenty of denim, canvas jackets, and polos. Totally rad! 

3. There’s plenty of teen angst. If a group of monster-fighting kids isn’t your thing, there’s a healthy dose of teenage drama to keep you satisfied. Young love, fist fights, illicit parties – Stranger Things has it all.

4. Two words: Winona Ryder. An iconic actress of the 80s and 90s, Winona Ryder returns to her roots in Stranger Things. She delivers a brillant, emotional performance playing a hardworking, fiercly protective mother of two. 

5. The cast members are freakin’ adorable. With the main storyline revolving around four kids, Stranger Things cast Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven), Caleb McLaughlin (Lucas), Finn Wolfhard (Mike), and Gaten Matarazzo as the goofy-yet-adorable Dustin. Together, they band together to take on mysterious forces, while forming an endearing and lasting friendship. 

Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!