timothee chalamet and zendaya coleman in dune part two
Niko Tavernise / Warner Bros

Zendaya’s Dune Part Two Masterful Method Dressing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Ahead of the highly anticipated Dune: Part Two, our generation’s favorite fashion icon has been hitting red carpets all around the world in some of the rarest archival pieces, setting the fashion and film world on fire.

Zendaya, a two-time Emmy-winning actress, is known not only for her range in characters but her range in fashion. The actress often recalls how fashion, and her stylist for over a decade, Law Roach, were her strongest allies while trying to make a name for herself in the industry. As a teenager and young adult, she was invited to several events as a mere seat filler and saw the opportunity to be best dressed, capturing the eyes of Hollywood and the world.

In more recent years as her roles become more dynamic, layered, and unique, like Chani, a fierce and compassionate Fremen warrior deeply connected to the desert planet Arrakis, in Dune, Roach and Zendaya have become masters of method dressing. Method dressing refers to a fashion approach where an individual adopts a particular style or fashion aesthetic associated with a specific persona, character, or role. You might remember when Zendaya wore a custom spiderweb dress to the Spider-Man: No Way Home premiere, but in the past few weeks, she’s taken it to an entirely new level.

As fans lined the streets of Central London and thousands more were glued to their phone screens, the star-studded cast including Timothee Chalamet, Florence Pugh, and Austin Butler walked the sandy red carpet, but Zendaya’s absence was noted, building anticipation more than ever. Screams erupted throughout the city as Zendaya carefully stepped out of the car and onto the carpet donned in a neck-to-toe metallic robot suit, fit with metal gloves and clear cutouts; it was the only Mugler silver robot suit from the 1995-1996 FW collection, making her the first person to ever wear the ensemble in public.

From advanced spacecraft capable of interstellar travel to sophisticated weaponry like laser guns and energy shields, technology permeates every aspect of life in the Dune universe. By donning this iconic ensemble, Zendaya embodies Chani’s character with a palpable sense of otherworldly presence, further immersing audiences in the richly imaginative universe of the film. This convergence of fashion and storytelling not only enhances the visual spectacle but also underscores the meticulous attention to detail in the cinematic portrayal of Villeneuve’s visionary masterpiece.

Zendaya’s character, Chani, wore a distinctive desert armor costume that reflected the harsh environment of the planet Arrakis. Her costume featured a blend of rugged fabric and metallic elements, with layers of earth-toned fabrics reminiscent of desert attire. The armor pieces were designed to evoke a sense of protection while also allowing for freedom of movement in the harsh desert landscape. At a Mexico City press stop, Zendaya flowed in a two-piece custom set by emerging Black designer Torishè Ju. The outfit featured large circular applications, resembling the details on Chani’s armor, along with how the earth-toned top draped across her chest and legs.

Not even a week later, the Dune cast stepped out in Seoul, South Korea to greet crowds of fans and Zendaya wore archival Fall 1999 Givenchy by the iconic Lee McQueen pencil suit painted with a futuristic, technological motif. What makes this look so great is not only does it tie into the science fiction of the film, but also the skin-tight silhouette and high neck contribute to the fact that Chani plays a significant role in the military aspect as a skilled warrior of the Fremen. The sleek lines represent Chani’s intelligence and mobility. Furthermore, Zendaya’s hair was styled slicked back with two long strands falling down by her ears, a look one can interpret as an homage to the late Nichelle Nichols, who played Lieutenant Uhura in Star Trek (making her one of the first Black women featured in a major television series)!

In a whirlwind of fashion that mirrors the cosmic journey of Dune: Part Two, Zendaya emerges as the reigning queen of the red carpet yet again. From metallic robot suits to futuristic Givenchy ensembles, she effortlessly embodies the essence of her character, Chani, while simultaneously paying homage to sci-fi icons of the past. As we eagerly await the cinematic spectacle awaiting us, one thing is for certain: Zendaya’s fashion journey is a universe of its own, where style meets storytelling in the most electrifying of ways. So buckle up, fashionistas and film buffs alike, for Zendaya has just launched us into a stratosphere where glamor knows no bounds!

Lily Barmoha (she/her) is a university student who is currently studying English and Creative Writing, as she has been doing at her performing arts middle and high school for the past seven years. She loves reading new fiction and classic literature, listening to music and going to concerts, and going to the movies. She especially loves writing reviews about pop culture events and hopes to one day work at an established arts and fashion magazine or start her own one day!