This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Though the rest of the world may be put on pause at the moment, artists have not slowed down when it comes to creating our new favorite albums.

And while we may not have gotten a hot girl summer dancing to Future Nostalgia or The Slow Rush at the club as we deserved, we still need our fall soundtrack now that we’re all strapped into our somewhat normal schedules again. Whether you’re starting a new semester, back to the office, or still at home avoiding the literal pandemic outside your door, here are some tunes you’ll need to save this season.

For those much-needed self-care nights: Don’t Call Again by Tkay Maidza (feat. Kari Faux)

Tkay Maidza’s Last Year Was Weird, Vol. 2, is a sequel to her previous EP Last Year Was Weird, and according to Apple Music she describes it as the “nighttime” to Vol. 1’s “daytime.” “Don’t Call Again” is the EP’s funk-filled slow jam single that encapsulates focusing on yourself and ditching any and all negative energy that surrounds you. Throw on this song and a face mask and get your mind in check.

For grinding through your online classes: Party by Planet 1999

Upgrade from your usual lo-fi beats to study to YouTube playlist and breeze through your study/homework sessions with Planet 1999. As one of those rare songs that are so universal, “Party” can be appropriately played at a house party full of your friends or alone at your desk with no questions asked. With catchy beats, minimal lyrics, and a futuristic ambient sound, this track, as well as the rest of its home EP Devotion, will have you laser-focused AND not on the verge of another mid-afternoon nap.

For when your quarantine fling falls through: Hit Different by SZA (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

The queen of R&B is back with a new single, the first taste of her new album scheduled to release later this year. Since the release of her album Ctrl in 2017, fans have been listening to that raw, emotional, and real tracklist that has yet to be topped by any album following it. “Hit Different” is an ethereal track about a troubled relationship that explains the true vulnerabilities surrounding losing the one you love. Whether or not your quarantine fling made it to relationship city, the feelings in this song will resonate deeply, just as all other SZA songs so effortlessly do.

For when you miss going out: U + Me by Coco & Clair Clair

Coco & Clair Clair are the pop duo you need in your life immediately. “U + Me” is their latest single and it screams GNO on the town with your best friends. With references to Britney Spears and lyrics like “decked out, all pink, looking real sexy” you will be instantly transported back to the days when we could put on our extra outfits, colorful makeup, and spend all night dancing in the club.

For now, a dance party in your room with this song on full volume will suffice.

USF Mass Comm major, lover of music, animals, and Sex and the City.
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!