You Must Listen to Revamp: The Songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Florence and The Machine, Ed Sheeran, The Killers, Demi Lovato, and many more have all come together to cover Elton John and Bernie Taupin’s songs on the new collaboration album Revamp: The Songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin

The tribute to Sir Elton and his songwriting partner is just what the world needs right now. At least, I think it is because I don’t know how someone can have a bad day after listening to The Killers cover of “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters”. 

Photo: Flickr Raph_PH

All of your favorite songs written by John and Taupin are on this album including, “Tiny Dancer,” “Your Song,” “Bennie and the Jets,” and more. Most of the artists lending their talents are friends of John’s. Lady Gaga, who is the godmother to John’s two young sons, sings “Your Song” on the album.

The alliance is mostly ballads but, gosh are they beautiful. Especially Sam Smith’s version of “Daniel,” but, of course, anything Smith sings is often a masterpiece.

While some interpretations of songs are hard to get into like Coldplay’s version of “We All Fall in Love Sometimes,” others are a surprisingly good twist on the classics like Logic, Pink, and Elton John’s remixed version of “Bennie and The Jets.”

Photo: David Shankbone

All in all, go home, sit down, and put this album on your speakers because it deserves to be listened to in a setting where each song can be heard and enjoyed.

And if ballads and pop aren’t your things a whole batch of country singers, including Little Big Town singing “Rocket Man.”

Megan is a sophomore at USF studying Broadcast Journalism with a minor in Creative Writing. She has a love for musicals, her cats, and dramatic medical T.V. shows.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.