Why You Should Play ‘The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I will admit, I was never a video game girly.  Maybe it is the fact that boys always said I was bad at video games when I did play, or the fact that I am terrible at first-person shooter games like “Valorant” and “Overwatch,” that made me steer away from them.

So, when multiple people told me I should play “The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” (BotW) because it’s an amazing game, I was taken aback. How can a game be this good? They have to be lying, right? There’s no way me, someone who never plays video games, will actually like it. 

And against all odds, I was proven wrong. I can now say that “Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” is one of the best games ever made, and definitely my favorite video game ever. 

This is not only proven by the countless awards it has gotten including multiple “Best Video Game of the Year” awards, but also by the big fan-base which continuously raves about the game (including myself). Not only has this game been praised, but 96% of critical game reviewers also recommend the game. 

So, I have compiled a list of reasons why you should play “Breath of the Wild,” especially if you have not played any other game before.

The Music

Video games often go under the radar in terms of score. Most focus on how neat the visuals are (BotW is not an exception), but scores also impact how a player interacts and engages with the game’s storyline and narrative. Hence, I can say that this game easily has one of the best scores of all time. Composed by Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata, and Hajime Wakai, the score encompasses the fantastical world of Hyrule. Certain themes that play when Link achieves a task, or others near location like the Great Fairy Fountain, have become recognizable. To the player, this score offers a sense of calm, allowing the gameplay to often be therapeutic rather than anxiety inducing unlike other games. I found this to be one the main reasons I loved the game, as the score helped transport and relax me, allowing me to enjoy the game rather than rush to finish it. 

The Animation

As mentioned above, video games are often praised for their visuals. BotW is not exempt from this, as the animation of the 2017 game allow it to capture unique visuals. Not only does the animation give life to the characters of Link and Zelda, as well as the Champions, but adds to the unique world the game takes place. Hyrule itself has many environments, from forests, to volcanoes, to icy mountains. Yet, each of these places becomes distinct and beautiful through this animation. One can even say the game comes alive off the screen. Truly a one of a kind of experience.

The Storyline

Lastly, but certainly not least is the story of the game itself. Although this Zelda game is not the first, and definitely not the last game with these characters, there is a unique way in which the characters can play. Similar to other Zelda games, the players are Link. Not only can Link follow the storyline, which is to save Hyrule from Calamity Ganon and rescue Princess Zelda, but there are hundreds of side quests which allow freedom. Rather than being restricted to the main story, players can explore the world, completing other missions along the way, or simply to explore the world in search of temples or treasure. No matter what, there is always something to do in the game. This storyline is also enhanced by the characters themselves. The Champions mainly bring charm to the game that I never knew I’d love. My personal favorite champion is Urbosa. 

Overall, this game has it all. A story, great characters, amazing visuals, interactive play, and a beautiful score that helps transport the player into a new world. Anyone who has played BotW knows how magical the first gameplay is. As well as how amazing it would be to play it for the first time again. If you want to escape reality for a bit, “Breath of the Wild” is your game.

“The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” is available to play on the Nintendo Switch and WiiU. 

mar is a double major in international studies & world languages and culture at usf. she hopes to go to law school after graduating to pursue international human rights law. she can be found daydreaming about love, making a million playlists on spotify, or crocheting the night away. legend says she dilly-dallies around the campus...