Election Hero Images?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Election Hero Images?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design
Culture > News

Why Voting is Important This Year – and Every Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I’m probably not the first person to tell you that voting is important this year. Since nearly 20 Democrats decided to throw their hat in the ring for the presidential nomination, America’s most reported story has been the 2020 election. All those Democratic nominees – and even a couple Republican challengers – have all dropped from the race, leaving two nominees: Joe Biden for the Democrats, and Donald Trump for the Republicans. Amid a politically hectic year, voting is perhaps more critical than it has ever been or ever seemed. Here are the top five reasons you should vote this year:

For Ruth Bader Ginsburg (and any other seat on the Supreme Court that will become available in the next four years)

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a defender of the law unlike any other. It’s her wisdom, guidance, and strength that will be missed most as her seat is filled. However, for some, her death signals nothing more than an open seat on the highest judicial body in the land. The Justice that replaces Ginsburg will be responsible for interpreting the law as it pertains to privacy, abortion, perhaps even same-sex marriage. What kind of Justice would you like to see replace Ginsburg? You can answer that question, as well as what kind of Judges you’d like to see in Federal Circuit Courts this November.

For students all over America

The president elects the Secretary of Education, who, in turn, makes policies for K-12 and higher education institutions in the United States. Some students can’t vote as they’re not United States citizens; others are simply too young. However, schools are our most vital public institution. We should be careful with whose hands we put our schools in. Students all over America are counting on you to elect a president who will select a Secretary of Education who will create equitable and fair practices for all students.

Because voting has never been easier

While mail-in voting has always been a thing, many people opted not to do it and just attend the polls the day of. However, with COVID-19 still very much active in the United States, many people are afraid to go to the polls for fear of contracting the diseases or unknowingly giving it to someone else. However, with mail-in voting, you don’t have to worry about the risks of voting in person. You can request your mail-in ballot by googling “vote by mail” followed by whatever county you’re registered to vote in. They’ll send your ballot to you even if
you’re not living in that county. All you have to do is send it back. Did I mention that you don’t even have to pay postage? You can even drop it off at a drop-off location if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of sending it back!

Because you have a voice

As a generation, we’re in touch with political activism and the things we believe in more than we ever have been. This has been the most politically hectic year in probably our whole lives. This year has shown us the things that matter and has accentuated and refined our views. When you vote for a candidate, you vote for their ideology. You tell them that you support the same things they do. So, whose views do you want to see carried on the next four years? Think about that while you cast your ballot, not after the election is over, and you don’t get to choose anymore.

Because you can

I don’t know about all of you, but I’ve seen quite a few people saying not to vote this year because your vote doesn’t matter. And look, I get it. After watching Hillary gain more than a million votes more than Donald Trump in 2016, I felt the same anger as many other Americans. The people had spoken, yet the result was not the one we picked. The Electoral College is an outdated institution that must go, but until we can make that happen, we must vote to ensure that the electoral college votes match our own.

Election day is November 3rd. Meet you at the polls (and don’t forget your mask!)

I am a double-major in Political Science and Sociology at the University of South Florida (go bulls!). I love to travel, write, and I love podcasts. I'm super passionate about the law and want to be a lawyer after I get my undergrad degree!
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!