Why it’s Okay to be ‘Intimidating’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

How many times have you been called ‘intimidating’? How many times have you sat and thought that this quality has made life more difficult? Probably a lot, but that is okay, the adjective, ‘intimidating’, is just a lazy way to say many other wonderful traits.

Your Story is Interesting

A first introduction can be dull, awkward, and boring. That is rarely the case though; someone who is intimidating fascinates the audience (as long as the audience is confident enough to start a conversation). With so many experiences, successes, failures, and trials you are truly unique. Do not hide behind a dull, watered-down story. Every event in life is significant; sharing that with the world can only do good. You have been through so much and still your head is held high. Be proud of yourself.

You Inspire Others

Pursing your dreams and goals is something that few accomplish, let alone even attempt. Others will look up to that strength and cause them to pursue their own dreams. Work ethic, knowledge, and a hilarious sense of humor are some of the many qualities that everyone around you appreciates. When someone is intimidating, others will be motivated to follow their own path because of your strength, even if they never tell you that.

You are Independent

The intimidating women does not need others for entertainment, to carry her bags, or for financial support. Independence is a quality that few are lucky enough to have. Seeing future perspectives and being able to do analysis on every situation’s strengths and weaknesses leads to a more colorful life. Knowing when to stay and when to leave is a quality few possess and even fewer are secure enough to take action. Taking your own needs first when choosing your path in life is selfish, but ultimately you cannot take care of others if you do not take care of yourself first.

You are Passionate  

While others struggle to find one cause or subject they care deeply about you have found multiple. The intimidating women works hard to succeed in all of her classes and/or job, has hobbies, may be involved in multiple organizations, and is well educated about local as well as global events. It is not common to look at the world and of it’s possibilities with such intensity and enthusiasm. Surely, there are times when it would have been easier to take be passive but your passion lead you to this point; why give up now?

The combination of these qualities along with many more make you unique. You may intimidate others, but that is because it is easier to find one word than to take time describing your intricacies. The quality that may have caused an existential crisis in your life may be your saving grace that puts you ahead of everyone else. Stay the strong, bright, and intimidating person you are. 

Kalyn Nylander is a Freshman at University of South Florida where she studies Marketing. Her passions include fashion, beauty, old films, music, and the preforming arts. In her free time you will find her shopping, reading, watching fashion shows, running, or creating mood boards. You can find her on twitter @nylander_kalyn.
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.