Why Her Campus USF Supports The Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

This Monday, Her Campus USF will host a Swap & Shop event: students will trade their gently used clothes with each other for a wardrobe refresh. All leftover items will be donated to The Spring, a local organization that supports domestic violence victims.

The event will be held Monday, October 23 at 5 p.m. in the Marshall Student Center room 3704.

But why The Spring? The organization has been supporting families suffering from domestic violence for 40 years. They provide numerous services to families free of charge, from shelter and support to education about healthy relationships.

Becca Walker, Database and Marketing Manager for The Spring, is proud of the work that the organization does around Tampa. But she and her staff would prefer there wasn’t a need for it.

“We all wish we weren’t in business, because that means there would be no domestic violence,” she explained.

Walker said that one in four women will be in a violent or abusive relationship in their lifetime, and millennial women are no exception. Even teens are vulnerable: one in three teens will be in an abusive relationship.

That’s why The Spring focuses so heavily on education. When people know the warning signs of an unhealthy relationship, they’re more likely to speak up for themselves instead of dismissing their partner as a “jerk” or “moody.”

Photo courtesy of The Spring

The Spring shelters and supports women who have escaped from abusive circumstances. Their shelter is in a confidential location to keep the families safe, and there’s even an accredited school on-campus for children who can’t go to their normal school because of safety concerns.

Walker emphasized that the organization is about empowerment.

“It’s about…letting people make their own decisions and get back on their feet when they’re ready,” she said.

Photo courtesy of The Spring

The Spring provides numerous opportunities for women to feel empowered in their own skin, including yoga classes, group therapy and self-esteem workshops.

Interested in supporting The Spring? Walker said they always need volunteers, and they offer internships. The organization also has two thrift stores in Tampa whose proceeds fund various programs and services.

Are you or someone you know in an abusive relationship? Call The Spring’s 24/7 hotline at (813) 247-SAFE (7233) for confidential counseling.

Morgan is a senior studying Mass Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in English at USF. She also writes for WUSF News 89.7, The Oracle, CollegeFashionista, and USF PRSSA's blog.