Who Is Angela Rye?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you consider yourself politically conscious like myself, you’re probably very familiar with the very ‘woke’ Angela Rye. She might even be the Beyonce of politics, with her widely famous use of the term “boy bye” while broadcasting  live on a CNN political panel discussion during the presidential campaign run back in August 2016.  

Who is Angela Rye? You’ve seen her name trending on Twitter, you’ve seen her on TV screens, you’ve seen her video clips on your social media feeds—what I’m trying to say is you’ve probably seen her everywhere being hailed by some— for her blunt candor and uncensored honest opinions. Rye is a rare voice of reason in politics who uses her platform advocating for positive change in the political process.

Rye describes herself as an Empowermenteur, Advocate and Political Strategist on her websites about me page. She graduated from University of Washington and Seattle University School of Law. She’s a CNN Political Commentator and NPR Political Analyst and has been featured on many outlets including MSNBC, TV-One, BET, HBO, NPR and TheRoot. She also served as a political advocate on many publications including Washington Post, Marie Claire, Ebony Magazine and Congressional Weekly.  

She created her own nonprofit youth empowerment group, IMPACT, which is an organization that helps and guides young professionals through economic empowerment, civic engagement and political involvement.

She’s unapologetic, unsilenced and unafraid to speak her mind, three traits all women should be. Her confidence is unmatched and at times unwavered.  Rye has spoken on a magnitude of controversial topics including backwards political agendas, lies and her stance on race discrimination in America. There’s no doubt why millennials tune in to follow her on air commentary, she’s leading a new wave of  ‘woke’ girls across the world.

Most, including myself, enjoy her ability to never back down from a political debate while maintaining an  honest approach. And, of course, her no nonsense attitude.  

For example: that one time Rye rolled her eyes while broadcasting on CNN when the subject of Hillary Clinton’s good deeds as Secretary of State came up, Kayleigh McEnany rebutted by claiming that Trump had “done great things, too” in his private time. Well I’m just going to leave that there, no need to dive any further right?  

Like Rye, our voice represents who we are, what we stand for and signifies what we hope to achieve and it’s no wonder she’s spoken at Princeton University, Howard University School of Law, University of Connecticut and even University of Pennsylvania.  

With Rye at the forefront representing women in politics it shows how important it is that we truly believe in our confidence and we strive meticulously to work at our “God-given” potential. There can be only one Viola Davis, Angela Rye, Octavia Spencer, Taraji P. Henson, Kerry Washington and my forever First Lady Michelle Obama of the world but they all have one thing in common and that’s—that their voices are powerful, influential and forceful. Yours can be too.

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.