What I Wish I Knew Before Getting My First Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Ever since I was little, I remember going into multiple tattoo shops with my parents and always thinking how awesome they looked. Then came my 18th birthday, and I was finally ready for my big moment! To this day, I am still madly in love with my first tattoo, but there were some things I wish I knew before going into it.

The first thing you should know is that looking at pain charts for hours on end is probably not going to be beneficial to you. Everybody’s pain tolerance is totally different, and looking at a chart to tell you how bad something will hurt might just be self-sabotage. Pro tip: always remember that it’s just a few minutes of discomfort for a life filled with art that you’ll always cherish.

Something else to keep in mind is that not all tattoo artists will tattoo the exact same image you found online. Many will take that inspiration and alter it to give it some originality. However, there are some artists who would be more than happy to tattoo something of meaning, like the signature of a loved one.

This brings me to my next point: RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. Remember to always do your research on the tattoo shop and artist that you plan on going to. Some key things to look for are art styles, cleanliness, personal experiences and pricing. All shops differ vastly, so it’s important to really research where you want to go in order to get the best experience possible.

Below are some popular tattoo shops and artists in Tampa Bay.

Bed of Roses Tattoo

Swamp Blossom Tattoos

Lucky You Tattoo

White Fox Tattoo Studio

Last but not least, always remember: your body, your art. Don’t be afraid to get something just because you’re worried others won’t approve of it. At the end of the day, what you decide to do with your body should always be your choice. So go out there, make some memories, and get tatted!

Active student at The University of South Florida studying Integrated Advertising and Public Relations while also getting certified in Visualization and Design. I enjoy long walks to the fridge, cats, fashion, music, and design. Catch me at a local record store sipping on some green tea.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.