alice donovan rouse 1TqTPPz3xpg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alice donovan rouse 1TqTPPz3xpg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Culture > News

What Does the Untimely Death of RBG Mean For This Country?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The passing of the notorious Ruth Bader Ginsburg must be one of the most devastating deaths of 2020. She led a spectacular life full of accomplishment, innovation, rebellion, and was a straight-up badass. She was a remarkable soul.

A poster saying R.I.P R.G.B laying on flowers and candles at Ruth Bader Ginsberg\'s memorial.
Photo by Gayatri Malhotra from Unsplash

Now, while her soul is resting, her legacy is being challenged. All her victories and pioneering are facing reversal at the hands of Donald Trump and his supporters. While Trump took almost no time to pick and nominate a judge to fill Ginsburg’s seat, he also chose one that is the complete opposite of everything she represented and stood for. Amy Coney Barrett will be a time machine for our country. And while this might not seem concerning, it is. If confirmed by the Senate, Barrett will make the majority of the Supreme Court conservative, which means it will be the most conservative Supreme Court in 70 years.

The 6-3 conservative-liberal ratio will mean there will be no swing justice. There will be no one to tip the scale or decide a rulings fate. Chances are most rulings will favor conservative beliefs. And not just future decisions, previous ones too. The Supreme Court has the power to overturn any of its past decisions. The court has overturned 236 rulings over the years. The confirmation of Judge Barrett will mean havoc on decisions such as Roe v. Wade, Obergefell v. Hodges, the Affordable Care Act, and so much more.

People holding signs at a pro-choice rally in Washington D.C
Photo by Maria Oswalt from Unsplash

Trump even confirmed these possible actions. In an interview with Fox & Friends Weekend, the President said it “is certainly possible” and “you just don’t know what is going to happen” while talking about Barrett’s possible confirmation and the fate of Roe v. Wade. This is no surprise because Roe v. Wade is challenged by people, conservative people, almost every day. People who have no business in other women’s reproductive systems. If you don’t like abortions, don’t get one. And that’s all I’ll say on that topic. If you want to learn more about Roe v. Wade and the possible overturning of the constitutional right, go to https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/issues/abortion/roe-v-wade for the facts.

If we look back, Barrett is not the only controversial judge President Trump has nominated. He nominated Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who was accused of sexually assaulting Christine Blasey Ford in the summer of 1982. I remember watching that trial and thinking Kavanaugh will be the Supreme Court’s downfall, but I was wrong. The downfall of the Supreme Court will be Barrett. Her extreme Catholic views will challenge the philosophical concept of church and state with every ruling. While she claims her religious affiliation won’t affect her decisions, that statement will almost be impossible. Her views on everything from abortion to same-sex marriage to birth control will show how biased and unjust she is.

Gay pride flags waving in the air
Photo by Teddy Österblom

Barrett is going to make America look like a lousy 2020 remake of the 1950s sitcom I Love Lucy. I don’t want that, and I’m sure many others are with me. I’m a woman, and I want to keep all my rights because I’m just as capable, intelligent, and hardworking as any man. The fact I still have to fight for my rights constantly is exhausting, something I, or anyone else, should not have to do. Unless you’re a straight white man right now, you should be worried. Ruth Bader Ginsburg opened so many doors for us, doors Judge Barrett is trying to close. Ginsburg deserves better. She deserves someone who is going to continue her legacy. Someone who is going to make the world a better place, and try to better America. America is falling apart. And Amy Coney Barrett is not the glue it needs.

Two women wrapped in American flag
Photo by Courtney Hedger from Unsplash

Hi, I’m McKenzie! I love writing, coffee, dancing, pancakes, and my shih tzu Luna. I’m all about self care, talking about my feelings, and seizing the day. I just might be the biggest hopeless romantic you’ll meet. ?
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!