kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

WELLNESS WEDNESDAY: Quick, Easy and Affordable Detox Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Today is official our third day of being back at USF. This means that by now majority of you have attended the first day(s) of your class(es) for this spring semester. Getting back into the swing of things may be easy for some of you, but for the rest you might need a boost to help you get out of the holiday food coma. Let’s be honest, a lot of us went a bit crazy eating everything in sight during the winter holiday. Guilty!

So what better way then to finish off this first week than with a cleansing drink to flush out any toxins that we may have in our bodies. I found this perfect site called Everyday Roots that shares two different variations on creating a detoxifying drink.

INGREDIENTS

-1-2 liters’ of water, depending on how strong you want it to taste
-Part of 1 watermelon or 1 cucumber
-1 lemon or lime
-A handful of fresh mint leaves (approximately 10-13)
-Ice cubes

DIRECTIONS

Slice up a good amount of watermelon into cubes, rind and all, and put them into a jug or pitcher. Cut 1 juicy lime into wedges and toss in with the watermelon. Add a handful of fresh, fragrant, mint leaves and pour in 2 liters of cool water, filling the jug all the way to the top. Let this sit overnight in the fridge and let all the yummy flavors steep and infuse the water. When you want to drink it, put in a generous helping of ice cubes, pour, and enjoy daily.

*Ingredients and directions are from the Everyday Roots

ADDITIONAL INFO

Both watermelon and cucumber contain an amino acid called citrulline, which helps the body flush out toxins by filtering the liver and kidneys.

Lemon or lime juice helps stimulate and regulate the digestive track.

Mint leaves helps the body digest more effectively by improving the flow of bile throughout the digestive system. It also helps relax cramped up stomach muscles.

SOURCE:

http://everydayroots.com/detox…

I am a senior at the University of South Florida. I am majoring in advertising. My favorite things are beauty, fashion, entertainment, food and travel.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.