Wellness Wednesday: How Yoga Helped me Get Through a Break-up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

When we come to the realization that what used to be a wonderful, fulfilling relationship has ended, we sometimes need to go out and party with our closest friends; or at least that’s what I needed to do. I imagined the loud music, fireball shots, conversations with good friends, and company of strangers would take my mind and heart off of my break up.

As this did work for the amount of time I spent that one night in SOHO, I awoke the next morning with a need for Tijuana Flats, $40 less in my bank account, and the realization that I am now back in the ugly dating world. To get myself out of this newly single, spent and drank too much funk, I turned to yoga. As I began my sun salutations, I realized yoga is what I should have turned to rather than a night out on the town.

Yoga has a plethora of benefits, one being it can teach you about yourself. Here are 5 ways yoga helped me get through my break-up:

1. Mental Clarity- Simply stepping on to my yoga mat brings a smile to my face and a warm feeling to my heart. It was through yoga that I was able to relieve the tension brought on by this break-up. Meditation helped me free my mind and concentrate on my breaths.

2. Physical Strength- By turning to yoga to help me through this difficult time I was able to achieve physical strengths I always dreamed of being able to do. Rather than seeing a fellow yogi achieve crow and forearm headstand pose wishing I could do that as well, I was now able to do the those poses I once dreamt of.

3.Inner Peace- Yoga is all about strength and holding poses for a varied amount of time when sometimes all you want to do is give up, similar to instances in our lives. Yoga teaches you to let go and let your body take over. Yoga helps you find inner peace, knowing that negative emotions are only temporary. When one door closes, another is soon to open.

4.Distraction- Yoga allows me to fulfill the time that was once spent with my significant other. Yoga also takes over your mind by not having any room for other thoughts to enter.

5.Breath- The most important thing yoga has taught me is to breath. Long, deep inhales and exhales relax your mind and body. Deep breathing has been proven to release toxins and insecure thoughts.

Photo Credits:

www.huffingtonpost.com

www.mindbodygreen.com

Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.