Week of Welcome Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Whether you are a returning student or this is your first semester here at USF, there are plenty of Week of Welcome events to enjoy for Spring 2014. Get ready to start the semester off right! Starting today Monday, Jan. 6 through Friday, Jan. 10, there are a large variety of events to attend.

Week of Welcome, also known as WOW, is a campus-wide week designed to help students get acquainted with USF. There are various activities on every day of the week, including opportunities to connect with other students, as well as with faculty and staff. In addition, students can learn about campus life and traditions, clubs and organizations, classes and more! WOW offers an entire week of fun (and free!) ways to connect to the USF community.

So take advantage of this semester’s Week of Welcome! The events listed below are all campus traditions, but beyond them, there are so many more activities to enjoy! For more information and the full event brochure, check out the New Student Connections website here! You can also get your own copy of the WOW brochure in the Marshall Student Center. Plus, stay tuned for Her Campus events too!

Monday, January 6

Welcome Back Jam

Location: Marshall Student Center Ballroom

Time: 8 – 11 pm

The Welcome Back Jam is a fun night for food and dance! Come out to the Marshall Student Center Ballroom to enjoy yourself and see diverse performances from different USF organizations. It is the best way to bring in the first Monday night of the new semester!

Tuesday, January 7

Patio Tuesday: Involvement Invasion

Location: Marshall Student Center MLK West (near Beef ‘O’ Brady’s)

Time: 11 am – 1 pm

Patio Tuesday is a weekly event all semester long! This Tuesday offers the opportunity to learn about many different student organizations in a pirate-themed paradise! Plus, look out for Her Campus USF this Tuesday! We’ll tabling at the event.

Women’s Basketball vs. Temple

Location: USF Sun Dome

Time: 7 pm

Cheer on your USF Bulls Women’s Basketball team as they play Temple! Don’t forget to wear green and gold!

Wednesday, January 8

Bulls Market Bonanza

Location: Marshall Student Center Plaza

Time: 9 am – 4 pm

Bulls Market is a weekly outdoor market featuring various organizations and vendors all semester long. You can browse through different tables and displays In the fresh Florida air. Have cash handy just in case you want to purchase anything available.

First-Year Mixer

Time: 8 – 9 pm

At the First-Year Mixer, freshmen students can meet and make connections with other new students. It is a fun event with games and food, the best way to break the ice of your first year of college.

Movies on the Lawn (MOTL): Gravity

Location: Marshall Student Center Lawn (Rain site = Marshall Student Center Oval Theater)

Time: 9 pm

On Wednesdays nights throughout the semester, the Center for Student Involvement’s Campus Activities Board shows a movie that was recently shown in theaters. This Wednesday there is a showing for “Gravity” featuring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Don’t forget to bring food, and a blanket or chairs to get comfortable!

Thursday, January 9

Our Shirt Day

Our Shirts are available in the USF Bookstore for only $5! On Thursday, wear your OUR Shirt to show some Bulls spirit! Make sure you take pictures too!

Welcome Back Picnic

Time: 11 am – 2 pm

At the Welcome Back Picnic, students can meet the Student Government leaders and learn about how to join organizations and get involved in activities on campus.

Friday, January 10

iBuddy Kickoff

Time: 3 – 4:30 pm

The international buddy program pairs up diverse students together so they can learn about different cultures. Come to the kickoff to make friends and get a taste of different lifestyles, cultures and traditions.

Bulls Nite Out Presents: Dueling Pianos

Time: 9 pm

A campus favorite event is Bulls Nite Out! For the first Friday of the spring semester come out to see your favorite music played in a special way. There will be fun entertainment, food and drinks!

Have fun this week and go Bulls!

Photo Credits:

http://sa.usf.edu/

http://newstudent.usf.edu/images/stories/pdfs/wows14.pdf

Jasmin Lankford is a junior at the University of South Florida majoring in mass communications with a minor in creative writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus USF. Jasmin is also the Communications committee chair of the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Student Leadership Society and the Media Coordinator of The Poets at USF. She loves to write about literature, fashion, art, student life and pop culture. She aspires to publish a bestselling book, write and edit for a newspaper or magazine, travel the world, and more. Read her blog here!
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.