USF student protest against SB 136- VIDEO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Just moments ago, hundreds of students marched up to the Patel Center on the USF campus in protest of State Bill 136 in an effort to get President Judy Genshaft to support them. The plan is to protest at Marco Rubio’s office. 

SB 136 resembles the controversial Arizona SB 1070 passed earlier this year that allows police to ask individuals for documentation proving their legal status in the states if they have reasonable suspicion that the person may be in the country illegally.

The claim is that it allows racial profiling.

How do you feel about SB 136 being passed in Florida?

Daylina Miller is a senior at the University of South Florida studying multimedia journalism and psychology and anticipates graduating spring 2012. She is a member of the national and USF chapter of The Society of Professional Journalists, Bull Bikers' Association, and the Heavy Metal Enthusiasts Club. She currently writes news features for USF's website and is an avid blogger. Her interests include traveling, writing, tarot, paranormal research and photography. She recently enjoyed a travel/study tour to London and various cities in Ireland and plans on backpacking through Europe after graduation. Being a mermaid didn't pan out and paranormal research won't pay her bills so her ultimate goal is to report for a well-respected daily newspaper or magazine as a multimedia journalist.