TV TUESDAY: Remembering the Original Grey’s Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Seattle Grace Hospital, or shall I say, Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital has done it again. This new season keeps getting better and better. After a decade of hospital drama with hundreds of little side stories, the show is still as powerful as when it first got popular. The majority of the characters in this show have been at this hospital since they were interns and several years later we have watched them grow into strong residents. Sure it’s only a TV show, but I have learned a thing or two about the body and what certain terms mean. This show proves that a hospital that fights together, stays together. There have been several moments during this show that the hospital might have had to close down or re-adjust in ridiculous ways, but they manage to get through it every time. At this point the hospital is run and managed by the top surgeons working at the hospital. And the drama just grows.

Here’s a recap on some of my favorite original characters.

The main character (in the middle) Meredith Grey, has almost died five times over the past 10 seasons. She has survived each tragedy. The writers of the show are making her seem invincible. She has survived drowning in freezing water, a bomb, a crazy gunman, a plane crash in the middle of the jungle, and bleeding out on the operation table after childbirth. She is the most brave character on the show because she knows that “this is a place where horrible things happen,” but she still stays there. so far her theory has proven true.

Her husband, Derek Shepherd, is always standing right behind her. he is arguably the best surgeon in the nation. He arrived as the new Head of Neurosurgery at Seattle Grace and was given the name McDreamy because of his good looks and great attitude towards medicine. Some would say that Meredith is the luckiest girl in the world. That is debatable after her five near-death experiences.

Christina Yang is Grey’s best friend, or as she would say “her person”. Her character has been friends with Grey since they interned together fresh out of school. The bond between these two friends is undeniable as they will do anything for each other. Recently the two doctors got into an argument about how they are two different types of surgeons and weren’t speaking for several weeks. But even though they were not on speaking terms, they would find out what the other was up to, from their co-workers. That is true friendship right there.

After so many years of being on the air, there have been a good amount of actors that have come and gone. Here are some of my favorite:

Izzie Stevens was by far my favorite character. She started off as an intern with Yang and Meredith and worked her way up to first year resident. In season four she engaged in a romantic relationship with another co-worker, Alex Karev. They got married and had a beautiful wedding on the one-hundredth episode. The season after that, Izzie developed stage IV metastatic melanoma. Eventually it was surgically removed and she regained her health. She was written off the show and her character just left Alex one day and never came back.

The adorable George O’Malley was introduced to the show as an intern also. He was in love with Meredith for years and eventually married another co-worker (Callie Torres) who ended up divorcing him because she realized that she is homosexual. In between all that he also had a short-lived relationship with Izzie. A former actor on the show (Isaiah Washington who played Preston Burke) was terminated for insulting Knight’s homosexual lifestyle. Knight struggled with the show for some time after that incident, and decided that his character needed to be taken out of the show. O’Malley failed his exam to be a doctor, by one single point, but he passed it the second time around. His character really starts to get a grip on things and then not too long after, he gets hit by a bus and dies. Just like that he was taken away from us. His character was a favorite of mine because he was different than all the others. He was always looking for ways to be a better person.

Now that you have an insight on Grey’s Anatomy you are ready to take the next step. This is all just a fraction of the drama that this show delivers every week. Grey’s Anatomy airs on Thursday nights at 9/8c on ABC. Watch one episode and you will not be disappointed.

Ashley Harnish is an Alumna of the University of South Florida. She graduated May of 2016 with her Bachelors in Dance Studies and minor in mass communications. Ashley is a former Editor's Assistant for Her Campus at USF. Even though she has be dancing since was just three years young, she loves it more everyday. Writing is another passion of hers, especially on her blog http://ashleycamille24.wordpress.com/. Her favorite show is F.R.I.E.N.D.S and one day she hopes to travel the entire world while writing about her experiences in each dance community.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.