TV Tuesday: How to Get Away with Murder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Shonda Rhimes has done it again, collegiettes™! The screenwriter has successfully written a new original drama series for ABC. From the hospital drama “Grey’s Anatomy” to the political turmoil “Scandal”, this new thrilling show sets Rhimes at the top of her game. “How to Get Away With Murder” is thrilling and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The series aired its pilot last Thursday night at 10 p.m. on ABC (making a three-hour block on television for Rhimes) and got over 14 million viewers.

If you have not seen the countless previews and commercials for this series, here is a breakdown of what it entails. The main character of the show is a criminal defense attorney as well as a criminology defense professor. She chooses four of her students to work with her at her firm. They are assigned certain tasks and their grade in the class depends on how well they do these tasks.

The difference between this series and Rhimes other series, is the intensity of the premiere episode. The content not only displays one murder, but two murders that will be solved as the season goes on. There has been talk about how this aggressive beginning will only allow for a downfall. Hopefully this will be proven untrue.

The cast of the show is a set of new faces to Hollywood. By choosing new actors and actresses, “How to Get Away With Murder” has an even better chance of rising to the top.

Oscar award winner Viola Davis plays the protagonist, Annalise Keating. Two of the students are played by Alfred Enoch, known best as Dean Thomas from the “Harry Potter” series, and Matt McGorry from “Orange Is the New Black”. One of Keating’s lawyers is played by Liza Weil, known from her role as Paris in “Gilmore Girls”.

If the plot is not enough to get you interested in watching this new series, these actors will. Each individual fits his or her character in a way that draws you in.

I highly convince you to give “How to Get Away With Murder” a chance. This ABC series is like Nancy Drew with a dirty twist. You are constantly solving a mystery and do not know who to trust. This will leave you on the edge of your seat the entire hour! Tune in next Thursday at 10 p.m. to catch the next episode of “How to Get Away With Murder”. You will not regret it!

Ashley Harnish is an Alumna of the University of South Florida. She graduated May of 2016 with her Bachelors in Dance Studies and minor in mass communications. Ashley is a former Editor's Assistant for Her Campus at USF. Even though she has be dancing since was just three years young, she loves it more everyday. Writing is another passion of hers, especially on her blog http://ashleycamille24.wordpress.com/. Her favorite show is F.R.I.E.N.D.S and one day she hopes to travel the entire world while writing about her experiences in each dance community.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.