TV TUESDAY: Awkward.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Jenna Hamilton and her awkward crew are coming back soon! That’s right collegiettes. If you have not seen this little sit com, it is about time you get on it. Between her daily blogs, break-ups, makepups, and public humiliation, the high school drama is only intensifying. After three seasons of finding herself, Jenna Hamilton has proven that her outcast days might be over. Sure she has made some mistakes here and there (especially when her blog went public…oops) but the show really focuses on what obstacles teenagers go through to make the best decisions they can make under the pressure of friends, family and even bullies.

Before Awkward. returns to air another season, here is a little recap just in case you do not have time to watch all three seasons:

Season 1

Jenna Hamilton loses her virginity at summer camp to the guy of her dreams, Matty McKibben. Jenna then finds a “Care-Frontation” letter telling her to not be such a coward because one day she will disappear and no one will really care.

On top of the letter she also finds out Matty is actually embarrassed to be seen with her, so she struggles at school and has a freak accident that looked like an attempted suicide. She was a complete joke at her high school as a freshman because she had to wear a ridiculous arm cast. Jenna has horrible bullies, Sadie and Lisa, that harass and embarrass her. Jenna turns to her friends for advice and continues to blog about her ridiculous situations.

Even though Matty visits Jenna at her house very often and they act like a couple in private, he still won’t talk to her at school. Throughout the season Jenna is hopeful that Matty will want to be seen in public with her. Meanwhile, Jenna, Tamara and Ming (her two best friends) make friends with Matty’s best friend, Jake. Eventually Jake starts getting feelings for Jenna, which catches Matty’s attention. He becomes jealous.

The season ends with Jake asking Jenna to the formal dance, but she decides they should go as friends with Tamara and her other friend Ming.

Season 2

After winter break Jenna is under the impression that Matty has no feelings for her and becomes Jake’s official girlfriend. Jenna comes to the realization that her mother Lacey was the one that wrote the “Care-Frontation” letter. This causes her parents to separate. She has strong feelings against her mother and deals with feelings that have been unresolved between her and Matty. Jake had no idea that she lost her virginity to Matty and so she feels the need to tell him herself, but Jake insists he does not want to know about her past.

After she thought everything was fine, Matty starts tagging along in everything Jake and Jenna do, so that he can remind her that he is meant to be with her.

A few weeks later Jake finds out about Jenna’s past and ends things with her because “the timing wasn’t right”. Matty comes to Jenna’s house to comfort her and she admits she is still in love with him – as they kiss, Jake watches from the window and is completely crushed.

Jake confronts Jenna and all is explained to calm him down. For several days, Jenna deals with her friend Ming being part of the Asian Mafia and her mom being criticized for the letter. Jake and Matty constantly ask Jenna who she picks and she does not chose quite yet. All three eventually become good friends. One day there was a fist fight between Jake and Matty, which then forces Jenna to pick Matty (who is not afraid to be seen with her any longer). Tamara randomly starts dating Jake and they plan to travel to Europe in the summer.

Season 3

Jake and Tamara return from Europe, where their relationship grew an incredible amount. Jenna has to get used to seeing her ex-boyfriend and best friend be very open with their relationship.

With her parents getting back together and her fun boyfriend by her side, Jenna feels like this year will be a great one. She even starts taking a creative writing class where she meets a new guy named Collin. The class inspired her blog and she learns more about herself, including her mixed feelings about being with Matty. She starts having feelings for Collin and, although he has a girlfriend, he flirts with Jenna non-stop. One mistake of a kiss turns into Jenna cheating on Matty, and on her 17th birthday everyone finds out how unfair Jenna has treated Matty. Jenna goes on a downward spiral and ends her relationship with her friends and family. The only person left in her life is Collin, who brings out the dark side of Jenna.

Eventually Jenna is unhappy with her life and realizes she needs to end things with Collin and mend her previous relationships. She even makes a new friend, Bailey, who she introduces to the group. Jenna thinks that Matty might be into her again but turns out he has a thing for Bailey. The season ends with Jenna realizing the better person she has become and how happy she is now. The question is, will Jenna and Matty get back together?

Awkward. comes back Tuesday,  April 15th at 10/9c PM on MTV. Don’t miss you! This season seems like it will be good one.

Ashley Harnish is an Alumna of the University of South Florida. She graduated May of 2016 with her Bachelors in Dance Studies and minor in mass communications. Ashley is a former Editor's Assistant for Her Campus at USF. Even though she has be dancing since was just three years young, she loves it more everyday. Writing is another passion of hers, especially on her blog http://ashleycamille24.wordpress.com/. Her favorite show is F.R.I.E.N.D.S and one day she hopes to travel the entire world while writing about her experiences in each dance community.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.