photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

TV TUESDAY: 10 Classic “Friends” Thanksgivings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

“Friends” is famous for the Ross and Rachel rollercoaster, Monica and Chandler’s mid-series hookup, Joey’s promiscuity and Phoebe’s eccentricity.  But the show is equally known for having incredible holiday episodes.  Between the New Year’s Eve dance routine, the holiday armadillo and Phoebe’s Christmas song, many hilariously unforgettable moments unfold when the gang gets festive.  Every season, our favorite friends celebrate Turkey Day together, and as one could imagine, shenanigans ensue.  Spend your Thanksgiving morning stuffing the bird and baking the pies while watching these 10 episodes to be thankful for.

The One Where Underdog Gets Away (Season 1). 

The first season won audiences over by relating to Gen X and its woes in a realistic albeit entertaining way.  The show’s first Thanksgiving episode saw Monica planning a feast at her place after parents flake, step-grandfathers have gone lunar and families freak over VD ads (all normal).  Everyone pitches in to help Rachel join her family on a ski trip, and just as she is headed for the airport, the Underdog parade balloon gets loose and the gang rushes to the roof to catch a glimpse.  Upon return, they realize no one brought keys.  Rachel misses her flight and dinner is ruined.  But when they finally get into the apartment and see that Ugly Naked Guy is spending his holiday with Ugly Naked Gal, they realize that Thanksgiving is more than mashed potatoes and ski trips. It’s who you have to share the day with that really counts.

The One with the List (Season 2). 

Thanksgiving was merely a backdrop in the second season.  The budding romance between Ross and Rachel begins just as his relationship with Julie is on the way out.  Phoebe, of course, sings a song called “Two of Them Kissed Last Night” to really drive home the love triangle point to Ross.  Monica seeks a job baking a Thanksgiving dessert for a company that uses “mocklate,” which is fake chocolate not yet approved by the FDA.  Then comes the titular list.  Chandler helps Ross compile a pros and cons list for Rachel and Julie…and Rachel ends up seeing it.  Feelings are hurt, words are said, dreams are shattered.  Ross dedicates U2’s “With or Without You” to Rachel on the radio (Remember song dedications?  Remember when the radio was important?  Better days, the ‘90s…), but Ross is still without Rachel.

The One with the Football (Season 3). 

Spoiler alert: Since last Thanksgiving Ross and Rachel have reconciled and are a fully functioning couple.  While Monica’s feast is cooking, the gang decides to play a simple, fun game of football.  During her team’s huddle, Phoebe asks “So, what do you guys really think of Chandler?”  Phoebe’s tendency to hate on Chandler is one of the series’ most satisfying running gags.  The game isn’t just killing time for Monica and Ross, though.  Their innate sibling rivalry resurfaces and the gameplay takes an aggressive turn toward the infamous Geller Bowl from their childhood.  While the Gellers remain hung up on the game, the rest retire for turkey and discuss their football future:

Rachel: “We should definitely play football more often.  Maybe there’s, like, a league we                                             could join or something.”
                                Phoebe: “Isn’t there, like, a national football league?”
                                Chandler: “Yes, yes there is… They play on Sundays and Monday nights.”
                                Rachel: “Oh, shoot.  I work Monday nights.”

The One with Chandler in a Box (Season 4). 

Chandler is notorious for making unnecessarily huge gestures to dig himself out of a situation.  (Remember when he moved to Yemen to break up with Janice?)  This time he’s dating Joey’s former girlfriend, and the roommates’ relationship is more than rocky.  To prove his allegiance and forgiveness to Joey, he vows to spend Thanksgiving in a large wooden box to think about what he did.  Elsewhere, Monica seeks treatment for an eye injury from her ex’s son and invites the lonely doctor over for dinner.  In the end, the box serves its purpose and Monica shares a kiss that grosses her out more than any turkey giblets ever could.  Season four is the catalyst for some of the show’s best Thanksgiving offerings.

The One with All the Thanksgivings (Season 5). 

“More turkey, Mr. Chandler?” are the words that scarred Chandler for life.  His parents got divorced and his father ran off with their male butler.  No wonder Chandler hates Thanksgiving.  The group shares Thanksgiving horror stories from their past, like Joey getting a turkey stuck on his head and Phoebe being an 1800s war nurse.  You know, the usual.  A flashback to the ‘80s reveals Monica overheard Chandler calling her fat.  The next Thanksgiving, she had lost all the weight to Chandler’s surprise and liking.  Monica relishes her personal triumph by trying to seduce Chandler, but she fails and ends up chopping off his toe.  Back in present day, the new couple has a spat that ends with a turkey on Monica’s head and their first “I love you.”

The One Where Ross Got High (Season 6). 

Continuing the trend of a friends Thanksgiving with low-stakes sitcom drama, the gang has dinner at Monica and Chandler’s.  However, this year they have ominous guests: Monica and Ross’ parents.  They don’t know Monica and Chandler are living together or that they are even dating.  Chandler is shocked to find out that the Gellers are not very fond of him due to lies about pot smoking in college.  As the night moves past the main course, years-old secrets begin to slip out.  Meanwhile, Rachel was put on dessert duty and it’s to no one’s surprise when her recipe goes awry.  Custard trifle with beef and onions, anyone?

The One Where Chandler Doesn’t Like Dogs (Season 7). 

The series experienced the seven-year itch with this low-key Thanksgiving episode.  Chandler introduces his “dumb states game” to the group, in which you try to name as many states as you can in six minutes.  Rachel named 48, Phoebe listed types of celery and Joey named 56 states.  Ross, always up for competition, is determined to beat the game.  While Ross attempts to wow with his geography skills, Phoebe sneaks a dog into the apartment and it causes quite the scandal with Chandler, who secretly hates dogs.  Rachel’s assistant—and crush—Tag shows up after his girlfriend breaks up with him.  By the end of the episode, Rachel and Tag are an item, Ross never wins the dumb states game and Chandler likes dogs.

The One with the Rumor (Season 8). 

Dynamics in the group have changed since last Thanksgiving.  Monica and Chandler are married, Rachel is pregnant with Ross’ baby and Joey eats a lot.  Okay, so the last one isn’t a change as much as a challenge.  When Monica declares she is not cooking a turkey, Joey begs for one and vows to eat the entire bird.  Monica also invites Ross’ old high school friend Will (played by Jennifer Aniston’s then-husband Brad Pitt), who admits to starting an “I Hate Rachel Green” club with Ross back in the day.  Not only was there a club, but they started a rumor that Rachel was a hermaphrodite.  The episode is laugh out loud hilarious and that’s a testament to Aniston and Pitt’s chemistry.  (Hear that, Angelina?)

The One with Rachel’s Other Sister (Season 9).

In the hands down best “Friends” Thanksgiving episode, Christina Applegate guest stars as Rachel’s other sister.  Applegate even won an Emmy for her spot-on portrayal of the vapid and materialistic Amy.  Here’s a taste of Amy’s personality when commenting on her niece: “She’s beautiful.  Do you ever worry she’ll get your real nose?”  Meanwhile, Phoebe helps Joey come up with a good lie for why he missed the “Days of Our Lives” cast appearance at the Macy’s parade as Monica obsesses over her fine wedding china.  Spoiler: Chandler ends up breaking every single dish.  He truly has the worst luck on Thanksgiving. 

The One with the Late Thanksgiving (Season 10). 

In their final Thanksgiving episode, Monica’s goal is to top last Thanksgiving.  Surely she found out about her broken china, and let’s face it, Rachel’s sister was a trainwreck of a guest.  But when the group is late for dinner, a heated battle breaks out and Joey’s head gets caught in the chained doorframe.  When Joey crashes into the apartment and sends Monica’s feast to the ground, they expect her to have a category five fit of rage.  However, she had just received the news from the adoption agency that she and Chandler would be getting a baby.  Food and late friends aside, the life-changing news topped last year and then some.  More than ever, “Friends” showcased the true meaning of the holiday.

PHOTO CREDITS:

http://coffeestainedcashmere.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-thanksgiving-holiday.html

http://www.reel-insight.com/2012/11/friends-on-thanksgiving.html

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.