Top Fall 2015 Trends and How to Wear Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The change of seasons sparks something within all of us; it is the start of something new. The trees shed their old baggage and hopefully we take note and do the same. What better way to signify a change in spirits and optimism for the future than new clothes? With so many different style options and ways to wear them it can be overwhelming, that is where this guide comes in.

Trend #1: 70’s Chic

70’s are trendy again, which begs the following question: when was the 70’s not a fashion influence? This fall, take the 70’s trend and refine it in a chic and more simplistic way, it is a #tbt inspired variation of the well-known and well-loved trend. Flare leg jeans and wide leg trousers are probably the first thing that came to mind, and for good reason, this year wear them in a dark wash and pair them with a knitted turtleneck. An A-line suede skirt is the perfect way to stay cooler in the heat whilst looking impossibly chic. A denim A-line skirt is the perfect option if suede is too intimidating. Pair either skirt with a simple white peasant blouse. Couple any of these looks with a platform sandal or a tan bootie in the fall. To add interest to any of these ensembles, a gold chain belt is the perfect accessory. The hot colors for this trend are classic 70’s shades: burnt orange, tan, burgundy and olive green.

Trend #2: Pattern Play

Mixing patterns is another classic but with an added twist for this fall. To make this trend transition into the fall look for rich fabrics with texture such as brocade, jacquard, and loosely knit wools.  Find similar colors and tones within the patterns or to make a larger statement go for complimentary colors (a blue striped top and orange plaid blazer anyone?). A go-to pattern pairing is cheetah with black and white stripes. A striped top with a lightweight cheetah scarf is the perfect way to embrace this trend without overheating walking to and from class.

Trend #3: Moroccan Influence

Think of festival wear and then think of its grown up, elegant older sister. Darker florals mixed with rich jewel tones, embroidery (particularly gold), and beading. Bring this trend to campus with flowy midi length dresses paired with a black tassel belt, or a statement top with flowy (read more comfortable that sweats but far more stylish) trousers. Hints of tasteful fringe and flowy garments will make you look incredibly stylish while staying comfortable.

Trend #4: Mod 60’s

Fun, Feminine, and Fabulous. The 60’s were a transition period therefore it only makes sense to channel the 60’s during the fall season. Ladylike pastels in clean silhouettes and patent leather can make the sweetest shade instantly look unexpectedly edgy and fresh, because no one wants to be mistaken for an Easter egg. Alternatively, take it another direction entirely and wear Black & White. A shift dress with a white peter pan collar, printed duster coat, block heel flats, and a structured handbag walks the line between retro and impeccably modern. Revive the A-line skirt by wearing it with a high-necked bow blouse and a pair of black knee-high boots with a block heel and a square toe. No look would be complete without a cat eye, and if you feel especially daring red lipstick.

Kalyn Nylander is a Freshman at University of South Florida where she studies Marketing. Her passions include fashion, beauty, old films, music, and the preforming arts. In her free time you will find her shopping, reading, watching fashion shows, running, or creating mood boards. You can find her on twitter @nylander_kalyn.
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.