Style

The Top Celebrity Red Carpet Looks from BAFTA 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The 73rd British Academy of Film and Television Arts had many memorable moments. Among those was Joaquin Phoenix’s acceptance speech for the “Best Actor” award for his role in Joker, where he used the opportunity to call out the film industry on its lack of diversity. Brad Pitt’s speech roasting the royal family was a light-hearted highlight of the award ceremony that caused a lot of awkward laughter.

Although these moments might have been all the buzz at BAFTA, the red-carpet looks were equally as buzzworthy as all the drama. The classic English style of sleek suits and dresses swarmed London.

Daisy Ridley

The star of the Star Wars sequel trilogy kept it simple and fresh in this Oscar de la Renta dress. The emerald green gown featured a mesh corset and a one-sided chiffon cape. Ridley complimented the look with a clutch of the same color, a bold lip and a high bun that is reminiscent of her Star Wars character Rey.

Jodie Turner-Smith

Jodie Turner-Smith, best known for her role in the movie Queen & Slim, shined (literally) on the red carpet alongside her husband Joshua Jackson. Her custom Gucci gown was a zesty yellow color and featured a plunging neckline. The dress also included a black bow in the back that broke the intensity of the gown’s color. 

Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron looked stunning in a bright purple Dior gown. The South African actress, who was nominated for the best-actress award for her role in the movie Bombshell, kept the look very minimal with a simple silver-colored necklace and loose hair.

Emilia Clarke

Emilia Clarke was all smiles in this Schiaparelli black dress with a unique sequined pattern in the front. The dress complemented her figure and was the perfect choice for her to present an award on the BAFTA stage. Clarke also kept it simple with the accessories and pulled back her hair in a tight bun.

Zoe Kravitz

This Yves Saint Laurent gold dress is a bit old-fashioned, but Zoe Kravitz managed to transform it from a gown that looks like the real-life Oscar statuette to a glamorous show-stopping look with coral lipstick and bright earrings.

Which of these BAFTA looks is your favorite?

Hadil is a rising senior at the University of South Florida. She is studying Integrative Animal Biology in hopes of pursuing a dental career in the future. Hadil's hobbies include sketching and digital drawing. In her free time, she enjoys watching conspiracy theory videos and listening to music of all languages. 
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.