Top 5 Medical Drama Series to Motivate You Through Premed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Grey’s Anatomy  

Although, as I have been informed by various doctors I have shadowed, hospitals in real life do not have as much drama as this one. Watching Grey’s Anatomy is an important milestone in every future surgeon’s life. The series takes us through the life of a Meredith Grey, a young doctor who struggles to manage her love life while balancing a surgical career. If you have not watched this show yet, buckle in and enjoy the ride. It is so amazing that Taylor Swift named her cat Meredith. If you are already familiar with the plot feel free to binge it again. Psychological studies show watching that shows you have already seen decreases stress and anxiety. 

Photo courtesy of Radar Online

House

Once again, this show is NOT an accurate depiction of what goes on in the hospital; however, many of the diseases explored in House, along with their symptoms and treatments, are real. The main character of this series is Gregory House, an older man who is a genius but suffers from an addiction to painkillers. Despite his flaws, House leads a team of doctors in their battle with uncommon and undiagnosable diseases. It is a must see for those considering going into primary care, for it mentions many procedures and testing methods.  

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Private Practice  

If you enjoyed Grey’s Anatomy’s Addison Montgomery get ready for this spin-off created for us by the goddess Shonda Rhimes herself. Addison Montgomery is a Neonatal surgeon who escapes the drama of Seattle Grace Hospital and moves to Los Angeles, where she starts working in a small trendy public clinic. If you are interested in becoming an Ob-Gyn, gynecologist, or a midwife and are looking for a strong female role model look, no further. If you are looking for a medical show that depicts the intersections between psychology, medicine, and herbal healing this is also the show for you. Even if you are just looking for an interesting medical show to enjoy, this has all the sex, medicine, and life lessons you can want.   

Photo courtesy of Next Episode 

Scrubs

If you have not watched Scrubs have you ever lived? Unlike all of the other shows I mentioned, this one is actually a comedy. The series takes place when a new group of medical students arrive at Sacred Heart Hospital to learn the ropes. Full of drama and medicine, this show is best for those interested in becoming physicians as well as lovers of binge watching. The show also has an amazingly diverse cast and brings up a lot of controversial topics in a light and funny way. This is my personal mood lifter as well as what I tend to utilize as background noise for when I study. 

Photo courtesy of Geek Tyrant

Hart of Dixie 

Unlike all of the shows I mentioned before, this one focuses on the journey of Doctor Zoe Hart, a New York doctor moving into her biological father’s practice in a small rural Alabama city. Despite the many challenges that she has to overcome, Hart decides to give this new path a try only to discover a lot about herself and her medical future. Although this show contains plenty of drama, it lacks in the medical department; however, Dr. Hart’s story is an interesting one and her unique witty character is one many of us can relate to. Also, many future doctors do not want to work in large hospitals, or they are interested in having their own private practice, so it is nice to have a show that you can model your daydreams off of.   

Photo courtesy of Hollywood News Source

I am a 19-year-old student majoring in Psychology and World languages on the Pre-medical track. Writing has been a passion of mine ever since I moved to America eight years ago. My other hobbies include pageantry, I just crowned the new reigning Miss Teen Palm Beach America, and cooking. A fun fact about me is that I speak three languages fluently (Russian, Hebrew, and English) and I am a Wiccan. My background inspires my writing and plays a role in my approaches to certain topics.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.