THROWBACK THURSDAY: One Tree Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

THROWBACK THURSDAY: One Tree Hill

“I don’t want to be anything other than me.”

For nine years, those are the words that defined a pop culture phenomenon and, arguably, an entire generation.  Gavin DeGraw’s poignant mantra not only encapsulated One Tree Hill’s overarching theme of struggling to define one’s identity, it spoke to the series’ legion of young fans.

Throughout its 187 episodes, One Tree Hill became something more than just another teen show.  It grew out of itself and successfully reinvented itself more than once.  It explored different genres, tested the traditional episodic format and boasted one of the best soundtracks on television.

For all you die-hard Tree Hill Ravens out there, relive all the drama with our top 10 unforgettable moments.

1.  Nathan and Haley’s (second) wedding redefines cliffhanger.

Even though Nathan and Haley eloped at the end of the first season (yeah, they’re sixteen, just go with it), the couple recommitted themselves with a grand ceremony attended by friends and family.  The season three finale focused on the ceremony, which went off without a psychotic fake sibling on the kill (we’ll get to that later).  Fireworks, though, metaphorically burst following the ceremony.  A car sails off a bridge and into a lake, leaving many lives hanging in the balance.  One Tree Hill had its fair share of contrived accidents (see: Haley surviving being hit by a car while pregnant), but this one was a well-earned tragedy in the first third of the series.

2. Peyton says goodbye to her mother—both of them.

Each of the main five teenagers have strained and sometimes tragic relationships with their parents.  Brooke’s are never around, Deb Scott is bonkers and we all know Dan Scott is a category five sociopath.  One Tree Hill’s resident introspective artist Peyton Sawyer had the most tragic parental relationship.  Her adoptive father is always off at sea and her adoptive mother passed away when she was a kid.  In season three, P. Sawyer meets her birth mother, who is suffering from breast cancer, and forms a close connection over music and art.  Peyton’s mother loses her battle.  Set to The Weepies’ bittersweet track “World Spins Madly On,” Peyton spreads her mother’s ashes in the wind and says a final goodbye to both of her mothers.  The scene showcases how honest and heartbreaking the show can be in its quieter moments.

3. When all your dreams come true, who do you want standing next to you?

Lucas answered this question in the ninth episode of season four.  His answer?  Peyton Sawyer.  (He probably did use her first and last name as that was the excessively expository norm in Tree Hill.)  After 75 episodes of push and pull with the two, they finally made it official in one of the most rom-com ways possible.  Excuse the cheese and embrace the cheese.

4. The series finale comes full circle.

Even though some fans like to forget seasons seven through nine happened, the final moments of the series finale were the perfect ending.  A time jump reveals that Jamie (Nathan and Haley’s son) has followed in his father and uncle’s footsteps by playing basketball (and becoming the all-time scorer) for Tree Hill High.  The moment—set to U2’s song “One Tree Hill”—ties together the major theme of legacy and familial relationships.  Though Lucas and Nathan’s father trained them with hubris, basketball was a major part of growing up Scott, and the sport remained and integral—but pleasant—part of their lives.  Also, Gavin DeGraw performs the show’s theme song, to which the cast sings along in a very meta, for-the-fans moment.

5. Dan Scott pulls the trigger.

In an episode that defined the remainder of the series, a Tree Hill student brings a gun to school with intent to harm himself and other students.  The unintended release of the school’s time capsule revealed secrets and made emotions run high.  Jimmy Edwards shoots and shatters glass doors in the school hallway, and the bullet hits Peyton’s leg.  Chaos mounts into a hostage situation and ultimately the suicide of Jimmy Edwards and the death of Lucas’ Uncle Keith, who was trying to help.  Without a doubt the most shocking moment of the series is Dan Scott pointing the gun at his brother Keith and ending his life.

6. Lucas and Peyton ride off into the sunset.  Literally.

The season six finale is where the series could have and should have ended.  Each character’s story wrapped up naturally and faultlessly.  In the end, Lucas and Peyton leave Tree Hill with their baby daughter Sawyer.  Once again, an exceptional song (“Can’t You See” by Marshall Tucker Band) sets the tone for a memorable moment.

7. Haley takes down Nanny Carrie in a cornfield (with some help from the in-laws).

The newly retooled, time-jumped fifth season added a thriller twist in its 100th episode.  However, that wasn’t the first time.  In the previous season, Peyton attracts a stalker who pretends to be her long-lost brother.  Crazy Derek attacked on prom night, and four years later, Nanny Carrie kidnaps young Jamie Scott at Lucas’ (jilted) wedding.  Haley is sent down a rage spiral while trying to find her son.  The episode turns to a full-on horror movie as Nanny Carrie chases Haley and Jamie through a cornfield.  The dark conclusion features the infamously violent Dan and Deb Scott.

8. The cabin in the woods.

Following the aftermath of the school tragedy, the group escaped their troubles for the weekend to Rachel’s family cabin.  The episode was the sigh of relief the characters and viewers needed after the preceding heavy stories.  One Tree Hill often excelled at the “filler episode,” which were never boring and always progressed the narrative in some way (example: season four’s “Pictures of You”).  Slightly shattering the already shaky realism, however, is Peyton and her new suitor Pete Wentz.  Yes, that Pete Wentz (again, just go with it).

9. A non-metaphorical hurricane hits Tree Hill.

The only viable unforgettable moment from the new school third of the series is from the eighth season.  In the eleventh episode, a hurricane rips through town and (of course) it puts the lives of our favorite Tree Hill residents in danger.  While some of the new characters battle an insane shooter, Jamie’s teacher drives him and his friends home and crashes the car.  It seemed like a missed opportunity for someone to say, “Come on, Miss Lauren.  You had ONE job!”  As she tries help the kids out of the car, Brooke narrowly escapes death by her heroic fiancé Julian in a truly moving scene.

10. Lucas tows the Comet.

And they meet at last.  The future spouses first acquaint in season one when Lucas responds to a call for a tow for Uncle Keith’s (RIP) body shop.  When he arrives at the scene, he encounters his brother’s girlfriend.  They share a surprisingly personal conversation despite not knowing each other on that level.  Lucas tows her car, gives her a ride and the rest, as they say, is history.

What are your favorite One Tree Hill moments?  Talk about it in the comments!

PHOTO CREDIT:

http://bit.ly/1aFJQ1B

http://bit.ly/1fhMjXv

http://bit.ly/1deap43

http://bit.ly/1aLDb6a

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.