THROWBACK THURSDAY: Miley Cyrus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Miley Cyrus became a household name in 2007 with her hit Disney Channel show Hannah Montana. We fell in love with her sweet, country girl demeanor and she had amazing talent to top it off. After Hannah Montana ended we started to see the new side of Miley, the  more “grown up” image that we see today. Although we do have an appreciation for the new Miley, I want to look back at the old Miley that stole our hearts back in the late 2000’s.

1. Hannah Montana: I know Miley proclaimed that Ms. Montana is dead but Hannah Montana is what catapulted Miley to fame. From the catchy songs to the sequined outfits, Hannah Montana was everyone’s favorite for the few years that it was on the air. You can sit there and judge but don’t act like you didn’t watch an episode from time to time. The show was actually pretty good and had some storylines that people could relate to (besides the whole undercover popstar thing).

2. The Miley and Hannah Combination: Miley clearly wanted to have a backup for when Hannah Montana ended, so she had her own album along with a Hannah Montana album. This gave her the chance to go on tour and even have a concert movie… in 3D no less! This was the height of her Hannah Montana fame but Hannah Montana couldn’t last forever but at least she was smart enough to create her own image separate from her Hannah character.

3. Actress Miley: After Hannah Montana was over we started to see Miley move on to other acting ventures. She hosted an episode of Saturday Night Live, which was generally well received by people who watched. Most notably she played a role in the movie, The Last Song, with her now ex-fiance Liam Hemsworth. She also starred in the movie LOL with Demi Moore, but the film had limited release and wasn’t advertised well enough for it to be successful.

4. Can’t Be Tamed Miley: Her album Can’t Be Tamed came out in 2010 and was the start of her current image. This was a Miley we weren’t used to seeing but personally I liked the guts she had to go a completely different route from her old image. The album wasn’t very well received in America because of how close it came out to the end of Hannah Montana. She decided it was best to tour internationally since the album was more liked in other countries.

It’s nice to reflect on how Miley was but the current Miley is one badass b*tch. Although I wasn’t a huge fan of her new image at first I think it takes a lot of guts for her to do what she does. She’s not looking to be a role model by any means but she does make pretty awesome music. Her behavior in public, whether it be at award shows or music videos, is interesting to watch but honestly that’s the fun in being a Miley fan. At the end of the day she’s just being who she is and you can’t blame someone for being confident in who they are. And who knows she might change up her image again in a few years and her Bangerz image might be a thing of the past.

Photo Credit:

www.fanpop.com

www.ringtone-jam.com

www.disneydreaming.com

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.