THROWBACK THURSDAY: Backstreet Boys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The party never ended for the 90s famous boy band the Backstreet Boys. Everyone still remembers their hits “Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)” and “I Want it That Way.” After their tour for the album, “Black and Blue,” it’s like everyone forgot about them.

The boys went on a brief hiatus and Nick Carter came out with his solo album, “Now or Never,” in 2002. Most of us were entering middle school and high school by the time the Backstreet Boys came out with their next album “Never Gone.” By 2005, the boys had some competition with Mariah Carey, Gwen Stefani, Kelly Clarkson and the Killers topping the billboard charts. Their 90s fame was wearing thin.

Kevin Richardson left the band in 2006. It was a sad day for Backstreet Boy fans, not knowing if we were going to get more music from them ever again. The boys persisted; they came out with more music and played tours around the world. In 2009, the Backstreet Boys cruise was announced and sold out. Lucky fans got to interact with the boys and watch them perform on deck and stage.

They were clearly doing well in the music business, but why weren’t my friends talking about them? It was like I was the only one still obsessed with the boy band who stole my 7-year-old heart. I continued to buy their CDs and when I heard they were playing at the Hard Rock in Orlando, I had to go. I found a friend to go with and that night we had a blast. It was the ultimate throwback concert. They performed a majority of their older songs (which they could pull off without Kevin), and the crowd still sang along when they played new ones.

That night was a dream come true. Then Kevin announced in 2012 he was re-joining the band and the BSB were going to come out with another album. That day was like the heaven’s smiled down on us fans.

“In a World Like This” came out August of 2013 and even though it wasn’t like the pop-music of the 90s, it was still really good. The CD is a mix of soulful instrumental songs and pop music. The more you listen to it, the more you love it.

After experiencing the best concert of my life, I had to make sure my younger sister came with me to the next one. The boys came to Tampa this August for their tour. They still had the moves and their performance was spectacular.

While many still label the Backstreet Boys as a 90s band, it’s time to realize they’ve moved beyond that. They are still around and making a mark on the music industry. On October 25, the next BSB cruise will set sail. There’s still a chance to see them perform at the House of Blues in Orlando, December 17.

Photo sources:

http://mashable.com/2013/08/03/boy-bands-vs-girl-groups/

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/09/03/boy-band-battle-results-winner-backstreet-boys/#!30010360

Brittany is a senior at the University of South Florida, majoring in mass communications with a focus on magazine journalism. She is also pursuing a minor in creative writing. She's written for an online magazine, Reasons to be Beautiful. She enjoys reading, watching movies and hooked on tv shows. Her dream job would be to write for Entertainment Weekly or writing movie reviews while living in the U.K.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.