THROWBACK THURSDAY: The ’90s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

What’s the best thing to happen since disco and the ’80s? The ’90s, duh! It’s almost impossible to go on social network sites like Tumblr or Twitter without someone giving a shoutout to the ’90s kids and all of the wonderful things many of the kids today missed out on. Clueless, Notorious BIG and Tupac, N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys, the Spice Girls, Hit Clips, there were so many wonderful things going on in the ’90s and it’s almost hard to believe it was more than ten years ago!

Clueless (1995) was the Mean Girls (2004) before the Mean Girls was a thought in the mind of “Queen Bees and Wannabes” writer Rosalind Wiseman. Who can forget lines like “You’re a virgin who can’t drive,” (Clueless) spoken by Brittany Murphy, who later admitted that during filming she herself was a virgin who couldn’t drive. The fashion set forward in Clueless still stands today as well. Cher’s white Calvin Klein Slip dress is just as sexy as any LBD. Blazers, Plain Skirt sets, basically everything any of the characters wore was perfection.

So in the late ’90s the Tiger Electronics Company decided to come out with one of the greatest music players outside of the iPod, the HitClip. These little boom boxes played songs from popular bands and singers such as A*Teens, Sugar Ray, and Destiny’s Child. You clipped the little music disks on any and everything and you could play one song with each disk. At $3.99 a pop, the little clips earned Tiger Electronics over $80 million!

A lot of ’90s kids like to argue that we had it best growing up. We might not have had the best era to grow up in, but we didn’t have to worry about having cell phones or iPads, we went outside to play when our parents were fed up with us playing videogames inside, and we had some of the wackiest mix-match clothing. The 90’s were a good time and they will forever hold a place in my heart.

Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.