This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Before the pandemic, one of my favorite pastimes was going to concerts. I loved going to shows in Tampa and would sometimes have multiple concerts during the same week. I met bands, have stacks of signed CDs in my room, and in general, have countless memories from attending countless shows. 

My favorite memory from going to shows is being in a crowd with other fans, all screaming the same lyrics. The closeness with the artist and the overall intimacy can not be replicated from just listening to the music. 

However, this feeling that I once loved has now been clouded with anxiety. As the world begins to open again, how safe do concerts feel? 

Many of the concert tickets I purchased in 2019 have been rescheduled for later dates with the necessary protocols in place. Most concerts, including the long-awaited Harry Styles tour, require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test within 48 hours of attending the show. 

Depending on the state–a prime example being New York–only those with complete vaccination can attend a concert. The common theme lies in masks being strongly recommended and/or required in the majority of indoor venues.

While Harry Styles’ tour venues remain the same, other artists have changed the locations of their shows because of the Coronavirus. Phoebe Bridgers adjusted her tour to only play at outdoor venues, where there is less risk of transmission of COVID-19. 

The international impact of the delta variant is no question, with global artists feeling the effects as well. BTS officially canceling their tentatively rescheduled 2020 world tour back in August came as a shock to many fans when the day came to pass. 

It is reassuring that artists are requiring safety protocols before shows. I’ll be seeing Harry Styles next month, and I’m excited to TPWK by being fully vaccinated, mask up, and continue to take the pandemic seriously. 

The future of concerts is unprecedented; but if we take the right precautions, we can all make sure that concerts are here to stay. 

Hi! My name is Penelope, but everyone calls me Penny. I am an undergraduate student at the University of South Florida majoring in marketing and integrated PR and advertising. I'm a proud, communicative Gemini, who is excited to share on Her Campus! Some of my interests include watching movies (I consider myself an 80's movie aficionado), listening to music, going to concerts, and following hockey.