sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Taking the Guilt Out of Pleasure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

When I was in middle school, I felt the need to listen to bands that would make me seem cool if anyone were to ask me, “What are you listening to?” I was always prepared to give an unexpected answer and not admit the artists that would usually be playing through my headphones.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

I was not going to own up to my love of One Direction, no matter how strong. People around me loved to trash the band constantly (including some of my closest friends) so I felt immense shame in listening to them. Why admit that you love something when everybody else wants to rip that thing to pieces?

Photo courtesy of Pexels

Now, I do not care. I feel like everyone should own up to what they like and erase the phrase “guilty pleasure” from their vocabulary. I love the Twilight series, and I have loved it since I was eleven. I know that there are flaws within it, and I am very much willing to recognize thos, but I still adore the series.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

I have realized somewhat recently, that having to stress about whether or not people will approve of your favorite things is a waste of time. Unabashedly love those shows, movies, or songs that people would stick up their noses at. If you enjoy it, then consume it! Do not spend any part of your life being embarrassed by your favorite things. One Direction is still one of my favorite bands, the Twilight movies, while ridiculous, are definitely watchable, and I unironically love the song “Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley. When you admit the “guilty pleasures” that you have to the ones around you, you might be surprised by what a relief it is.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

Lizzy is majoring in Creative Writing and will receive her degree in the spring. She loves iced coffee, dachshunds, politics (though not really the climate right now), Harry Styles, vine compilations, and so much more. She can't wait to pursue writing further when she graduates.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.