tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Surviving Trips Home From College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you are anything like me, even the smallest weekend trips home from college are a complete task. Sometimes when I take trips home for any reason, I wonder how I ever survived 18 years in my household before moving for college.

Photo courtesy of Rebecca Lee

When you are away from home, you feel like an independent adult, but going home to be treated like the child you were before you left for college can get pretty frustrating. You are in a completely different head space. For me, it is hard for me to accept that feeling when I am home even though I understand that to my mom, that I am still the child that I was before leaving for college, and may forever be to her. Do not fret! I have the tips to help you keep your cool while spending time at home from college.

Photo Courtesy of Creative Commons 

One thing that works for me is keeping plans while I am home. If you are just around the house, of course your parents are going to look for reasons nag you. They feel like they need to make up for lost time, but if you are not home all day long they cannot nag as often. When you are home from school, I am sure you have other family members and family friends that have not seen you since you left that you should go stop in on, so keep yourself busy.

Phot courtesy of Rebecca Lee

The main point is avoiding conflict with your family that could give them the chance to talk to you like you have not been adulting on your own for however long you have, right? So, something I do when I am home is show my mom how much of an adult I really am by cleaning things when I just feel like they need to be cleaned and even keeping my younger siblings in line. Not only does that keep her off my back, but it also makes me feel more mature for myself. No conflict? No problem.

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

The most important thing to remember during trips home is that it will not last forever. You will be back to school, on your own, and away from family before you know it, so cherish that time with your family while you can. Although we know we miss them while we are away, we remember why we want to get away in the first place the second we return home. Everyone can relate to that. When worse comes to worst, if your family bothers you too much while you are home, tell them you have a lot of school assignments due and lock yourself up in your room or guest room, so they cannot argue with that, but if they do argue with that, good luck and may the fall semester be ever in your favor.

I am a mass comm/print journalism major at The University of South Florida with a sociology minor expecting to graduate in May of 2020. I am an activist, ally, womanist, coffee enthusiast, ravenclaw and an aquarius.