This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Since moving to Tampa, I’ve been through many stages of different eating habits as a college student. After four years and plenty of instant noodles, I realized that I really missed my mom’s homemade meals. It’s hard to find the time to make intricate Puerto Rican food, so I started to go on a hunt for restaurants that would give me the same satisfaction I needed every once in a while. I stayed with local, small businesses that made me feel like I was back on island time, and here are some of my favorites! 

First is my honorary favorite, La Lechonera, a lowkey spot serving up authentic Puerto Rican food for a great price. This was a hole in the wall that I found my freshman year and although it may not look like or be in the nicest area, their food will make you forget all about that! My personal favorites to try are either the lechon asado (Pork) or the beef stew that are always served with a bed of rice, beans, and plantains. Other fan favorites would be the snapper or the mofongo. They come in great big portions so come hungry! They even have authentic sodas like Malta India and Kola Champagne, which were my guilty pleasures as a kid. Overall, it’s an easy and quick spot that has over-the-counter service and is my number 1 spot for Puerto Rican food in Tampa! 

The next stop is an authentic Cuban Spot near Carrollwood, Pepo’s Cafe. They have it all with breakfast, lunch, and dinner even with a bar. Again, mainly over-the-counter food so it’s easy but it can get crazy inside with people. There aren’t a lot of workers so being patient when coming here is key. Their coffee (Cafe con Leche)  is the best I’ve had in this area, they also have all the classic sodas and even mojitos! You can never go wrong with their baked chicken which is my personal favorite that I feel Cubans make the best! If you come for lunch though, the best option is any sandwich. Try their traditional Cuban that’s always pressed to perfection on  Cuban toast, which I could eat a whole loaf of. Their customer service has always been friendly and welcoming with an overall great experience with great prices as well! 

If you’re more of the indecisive type, a newer food truck spot opened up recently that is super cute inside and out! Empire Food Plaza is serving up street food from all different countries. These countries include Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico, and Puerto Rico, with plenty of dessert options! Personally, I need to go back and try more!  I visited the food truck, Altoque, serving up delicious Colombian food and I recommend showing up with a group as their portions are huge! Their platter lets you try all kinds of street food including multiple kinds of fried meats, plantains, and potatoes with their amazing sauces! I would go back solely for their arepas which are filled with cheese and meat as well as their tequenos with guava and cheese, which were the best sweet treat. Again, I need to go back and try more of the food trucks, but the overall vibe there is super chill with indoor and outdoor seating and food for everyone’s cravings. 

An honorable mention is my favorite taco truck near the USF area, Taco De Oro. They have the cheapest but most delicious tacos that are hot and ready within minutes. I get the Supreme Steak Tacos, which are super quick to get on the way home. Service has always been friendly and I continue to take new people there all the time over going to chains such as Taco Bell. 

These are just a few of many amazing spots in the Tampa Area that are serving up authentic experiences and food for a great price! Staying local and supporting small businesses has been something I wanted to dive into more as I am growing up and realizing that this area is very diverse in culture and I should be embracing my own not just when I see my parents. You’re welcome for your next best meals in Tampa!

Tatiana Perea pronouns are She/Her/Hers. She is currently studying Business Advertising at the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida standing as her chapters Vice President. Throughout college she discovered a love for writing and wants to combine it alongside a career in advertising post-grad. During her time with HC she will be focusing on exploring different genres and styles of writing allowing life to lead the way of her writing. Enjoy!