This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Super Bowl LIV was held last Sunday, February 2 at the Miami Hard Rock Stadium. The San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs went head to head in an overall exciting night.  Football itself, however, isn’t just what makes the Super Bowl the Super Bowl. The advertisements, food and half-time show all contributed in their own way as the Chiefs battled to victory.

The advertisements

From the shock factor of seeing Jason Momoa take his muscles off to relax in a Rocket Mortgage ad to the humor that Ellen brought in Amazon’s Alexa ad, the advertisements this year were pretty emotional. Viewers also saw Boston represented in the Hyundai Sonata ad with Massachusetts native celebrities like Chris Evans, John Krasinski and Rachel Dratch. Planter’s Mr. Peanut fans can rejoice! 

The beloved Mr. Peanut returned to the world in his new adorable “Baby Nut” form. Even Bill Murray got into the action with his hilarious Jeep ad toying with the film Groundhog Day.

The winner of the night seemed to be the Google ad, which featured an old widower reminiscing on his departed wife and how to remember her.

The half-time show

After subpar Super Bowl performances by Justin Timberlake and Maroon 5 the previous two years, audiences were ready for a truly incredible performance. Shakira and Jennifer Lopez definitely delivered everything we were missing.

As they took the stage, a beautiful celebration of Latin culture was showcased. An explosion of intense choreography flooded the stage, with Shakira belly dancing and J.Lo pole dancing. Puerto Rico’s flag was proudly shown in a feather cape adorned by J.Lo as her daughter brought her own vocals to the stage. Another notable moment was when Shakira’s looked into the camera and stuck her tongue out! This sparked many internet jokes and videos, as one of the first memes of 2020 was born!

Overall, the performance received positive responses and was deemed one of the best Super Bowl performances in years with its iconic production value and underlying political statements.

The game

The best games are always the most unpredictable, and man was this Super Bowl unpredictable! For the majority of the game, it looked like victory was in the hands of the San Francisco 49ers. In an amazing turn of events, the Kansas City Chiefs managed to turn around and seize the game, overcoming a double-digit difference. Led by coach Andy Reid. This was the first super bowl victory for the Kansas City Chiefs in 50 years.  

USF class of 2021 Advertising and PR integrated major. Minor in Studio Art and certificate of Visualization and Design.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.