Summer Wardrobe Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Denim Skirt. I just purchased my first high-waisted denim skirt and it has quickly become my favorite piece in my closet. Denim shorts can be so constricting and tight, while a denim skirt is the perfect alternative. It looks great with a tucked in flowy shirt or a fitted tank top, allowing it to easily turn into a fancy or casual outfit.

Neutral colored Bodysuit. This clothing item is great to pair with just about anything- shorts, skirts, jeans. It’s easy to dress up and even easier to dress down. It’s a guaranteed.

Off the Shoulder Shirts. Just like bodysuits, these types of shirts are easy to pair with any bottoms, as they come in a variety of different styles. The way they sit on your shoulders are very flattering. And it’s always been said that your shoulders are one of your sexiest assets to show off. And the best part, they show off your killer tan lines from your beach day.

Baseball Caps. Hands down my favorite accessory for any season, but especially summer. Caps are a great way to represent your school while you’re on summer break and also helpful to protect your face from those damaging, yet beloved UV rays.

Bomber Jackets. Yes, you read that correctly, jacket. You can purchase a cute bomber jacket at Forever 21 to keep you warm during those cooler summer nights. These type of jackets are normally very lightweight so they add just the perfect amount of warmth. To make the look more suitable for the warmer season, try a pastel colored jacket as opposed to a darker one. You can even layer one over a bodysuit to add more of a grungy feel to a look.

One-piece bathing suits. Thank goodness these are making a comeback because I’ve now found a solution to going to the beach even when I feel completely bloated. PacSun has a ton of options, from full coverage suits to more revealing, sexy ones. Although the prices tend to be more expensive than bikinis, don’t be intimidated, as this is essentially a top and bottom for one price.

Striped clothing. The stripe pattern seems to be everywhere this season. Whether it be horizontal or vertical, stripes can be found in assortment of different styles. Be careful, however, as horizontal stripes to elongate your body, making it seem wider than it actual is.

Long statement necklaces.  If you’re obsessed with Free People like I am, you will have undoubtedly seen these necklaces all over their website. Since my style is mostly casual, I love these necklaces, as they’re such a creative, yet simple way to add a little something extra to a look.

Student at the University of South Florida. Sister and Corresponding Secretary of Gamma Phi Beta. Artist, writer, and animal lover.