Stephanie Coffey: Meet a Her Campus Member

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Sophomore Stephanie Coffey, a Floridian born and raised in Fort Lauderdale, considers Tampa as the starting place of her career in writing. Majoring in mass communications with a focus in magazine journalism, she also has the desire toexplore the field of broadcasting as well as the passion to explore the world.

What possessed you to become a Mass Communication major, especially focussing in on magazine journalism? “I decided to major in Mass Comm as I have a true passion for writing. I always wrote my thoughts down everywhere, from poetry to stories and I was just always writing. However, it was my participation within my high school yearbook that really helped me to decide to declare Mass Communication, with a focus on magazine journalism as my major.”

How would you describe your personality? “I would describe myself as a very outgoing person. I love to act silly and do stupid things, but that’s mostly because I think life is taken too seriously and we spend so much time being sad and upset that we should spend all the time we can being happy.”

Do you speak any other languages or have any places within the world that you would love to travel to? “I don’t speak any other languages but I would love to travel to Ireland. I was actually supposed to travel there this past summer and even though those plansdidn’t work out, I’m even more determined to make sure I go there next summer!”

Do you have any hobbies, special interests or organizations in connection with USF that you love to be involved with in your spare time? “Besides writing, I love to sing but I don’t really have a lot of spare down time for extra activities. I’m in Delta Delta Delta sorority and we always do so many different things that involve community service, competitions and so much more. I’m also a member of the CLCE board as an ELI facilitator.”

What is your favorite thing about being a Bull? “I love all the opportunities I have found within USF. I have met so many great people through my involvement in the organizations on campus as well as in my sorority and I could not even imagine attending a different school at this point in my life. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and am so unbelievably happy to be a bull.”

Besides Florida, is there any other state within the United States that you love, and if so, why? “Even though I have lived in Florida my whole life, I don’t necessary love Florida. I am absolutely in love with New York. I think its an incredible place, full of so much history and I want to be able to live there to grow and learn from all the people around me. My family is also from New York and that combined with my love of the city is what makes it my favorite place in the entire USA!”

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? “In five years I see myself living in New York working hard to start a great career.”

Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.