This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

After the newest Texas abortion law that has been put into place, it can feel very scary as a woman to think of being stripped of your rights. More and more, these laws are continuing to limit the time you have to get an abortion. 

As early as six weeks, you are unable to get an abortion in Texas. You might not even know you’re pregnant by the time you could make the decision on whether or not you want to keep it or not. It goes as far as that you can even be charged with murder if they find out that you had an abortion after that time. 

With all of this said, it is super important to remember your rights in every state. Although Roe V. Wade is in place, the specific abortion rights vary for each state. Keep up with what’s going on in your area to best protect yourself. Some states, like Texas, are far stricter than others when it comes to abortion laws so it’s important to understand your rights in every state.

It’s insane to think as a woman that you aren’t in control of your own body and honestly terrifying. These laws ensure that someone must carry a baby even if they don’t want to. They don’t care the circumstances whether it’s rape, motherly health conditions, or even if you simply don’t want to have a child, you are still forced to have it. 

The government has no place in telling a woman what to do with their body. It should be nobody’s business besides the person it affects, yet somehow this has become a national debate. The best thing to do in times like these is to let your voice be heard. Sign petitions that are against any abortion restriction laws. Vote for and call representatives that you want to see in office representing you and your rights. Continue to support abortion clinics and pro-choice organizations. 

Everyone should be in control and have a say over their own body. A woman’s body has no place in government or in any sort of political debate. This conversation should only be about women being to uphold their rights and control over their body. People will always continue to fight for their own reproductive rights. Women’s bodies won’t be silenced by people who don’t deserve an opinion. 

Hi everyone! My name is Alexis McDonald, my pronouns are she/her/hers, and I'm currently double majoring in English and Political Science at USF. I'm also the Social Media Director for our chapter! I love reading, thrifting, and tea drinking! I enjoy writing about mental health, activism, and astrology! I have enjoyed writing since I was young and have grown to have a passion for it ever since.