St. Pete Women’s March: The Sister March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

On Saturday, millions around the world marched in solidarity against the divisive rhetoric of the incoming U.S. presidential administration.

More than 20 thousand people attended the Sister March of the Women’s March on Washington in St. Petersburg. It was one of several marches in the state of Florida alone.

The peaceful marchers protested certain policies of the new presidential administration, including the repeal of the Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”) and denial of climate change. Marchers also waved signs in support of LGBTQ+ issues and Planned Parenthood.

Marchers ranged in age from infants to elderly adults. Some men carried their daughters on their shoulders so their neon signs could be seen high above the crowd.

While most of the marchers were women, all were united by the same cause: equal rights for all, regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation.

Clark Tibbits of Asheville, North Carolina marched the 1.3 mile march path with his wife Peggy.

“I thought Obama was a great president,” he said. “Many of the things he worked for I’m afraid might be lost, but only temporarily.”

The Tibbits marched simultaneously with their four granddaughters in Washington, D.C.

In order to ensure that as few Obama-era policies are lost as possible, many marchers desire to catalyze their energy from Saturday into action.

The organizers of the Women’s March on Washington launched a new campaign on Sunday for those interested in staying politically involved throughout the Trump presidency. Called “10 Actions, 100 Days,” the movement will allow supporters to raise their voices about issues that matter to them.

Did you march this weekend? Will you become more involved in the political process as a result of this election? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

Morgan is a senior studying Mass Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in English at USF. She also writes for WUSF News 89.7, The Oracle, CollegeFashionista, and USF PRSSA's blog.
I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.